Fished from 5:30 to about 30min post sunset before ripping lines.  Went south of the harbor out from the sliders and set up in 130FOW.  2 deep riggers down above and below 80' (big white paddle and fly and a spoon on SWR), 2 side divers spaced between 60-70' (green spinny & fly and a spoon) and 300 weighted steel down the chute with a large paddle and Brads Cut Plug.  Lot of current and the chop made for a difficult N/S troll so we stuck to E/SE and W/NW.  Due to the current, decided not to push out to 200' and stuck to 170' as the turn around point.  Plus I wanted to fish a little shallower at dusk.  Through 7:00pm and few lure changes, we marked very few fish and got only one tip on a mag white spoon on SWR down 82'.  Changing over for the night bite I ran by Janet my lure change options.  She dead panned "it doesn't matter what put down cause we are not marking fish or catching fish".  Hard to have hurt feelings when that was the truth.  So I made the changes and swung into 130-120 FOW based on the bait I saw last night hoping the fish would move inside.  Well, I was right on one of two things.  The bait inside was incredible and mostly pinned near the bottom.  One bait ball completely filled up my fish finder - never had that happen before.  And at least one more came close to that.  Unfortunately, nothing bit what we passed through the bait and we finished the evening with an empty box.  Reflecting on passing through the bait, pulling the high dipseys cause frankly they were too high to the Good Eats below, and running 4 riggers down below 100' with clean spoons and meat, exactly the opposite of my typical strategy might have been a better program.  But that is all hind sight and I never anticipated the bait pinned so low in the water column at dusk.  Only two boats that I could see were out post sunset and there was no chatter on 68.  Perhaps we will give it a go during the week.  A lot of east wind in the forecast might keep things interesting.  Best of luck to all on your fall fishing.

sunset9-23.thumb.jpg.a02076b36e89639adcb5186f25f89832.jpg

Bait1.thumb.jpg.6ef5202f8086956e9dd4d79a77db8a32.jpg

Bait2.thumb.jpg.648c0b144591bc69ebff472dcc66317d.jpg

bait3.thumb.jpg.1b39096db4a98efe552c66b501c6aa2a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the report. Great detail
Enjoyed the story. What do you think the fish mood is? I'm hoping for some colder weather soon to break the current cycle.

The forecast seems to be off from the bouy lately, though at times like you reported the other day it was spot on. Other parts of the same day it's been better than 3ft waves for the same flat forecast. Lots of wide swinging currents and wind gusts.

Sent from my Z5156CC using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for the report. Great detail
Enjoyed the story. What do you think the fish mood is? I'm hoping for some colder weather soon to break the current cycle.

The forecast seems to be off from the bouy lately, though at times like you reported the other day it was spot on. Other parts of the same day it's been better than 3ft waves for the same flat forecast. Lots of wide swinging currents and wind gusts.

I went out this morning and fished from 130 fow to 160 and back. No action. Pulled lines at 8:15 am. Waves were over 3 ft at 140 fow. Tough sledding for a solo run. Lake laid back down at 50 fow. East wind challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman
  • Like 2

It appears the fish are not interested in biting anything sharp and shinny.  I am thinking this will continue with (1) warm water piled up, (2) steady blue skies and (3) strong current from the steady east wind.  Looking at the weather forecast for the week, a front is coming in Tue/Wed.  This could change the bite around in a positive way if the lake is fishable.  I am pulling early this year (Oct 6th) for travel next month so not much time left.

• Like 2

I went out this morning and fished from 130 fow to 160 and back. No action. Pulled lines at 8:15 am. Waves were over 3 ft at 140 fow. Tough sledding for a solo run. Lake laid back down at 50 fow. East wind challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman
I don't blame you. I would have done the same. I don't like being a human ping - pong ball.

• Like 1

yes it has also been very very slow off GH for the few charters that ran trips this weekend (oldest son told me)

the ones my kids and pugs got this weekend on Parker were DEEP - riggers down 110 with heavy ball - deep diver out 260 - high diver out 290 if you even can call it a high diver at that point  :)

all the graph bait and marks on top were just a distraction i guess...

pug says be patient - cold water is coming... already 50 some degrees 60down in 90fow this evening according to the PS buoy... another day of east wind and pug is betting we can nail 3yr olds inside 100fow or better yet big kings in that 25-40fow

• Like 1