Solo fished today 3/5, nothing big but two nice cohos. Normally I don't fish Sundays but the weather finally broke so I had to get out knowing that the next couple days would not be so good.

Now for the real story. I just got done setting up my two downriggers and I was in the process of letting out my 300 copper with the Brads cut bait and new green paddle that has a light on it something new.
I no more got it in place when a small boat came at me. I "Yelled at them you're too close", " You're too close" but they ignored me cut across my copper and took out my new paddle and Brad's cut bait. Then they went on their way as if nothing happened. They were so close to me I could not believe it.
I think I prefer my older post story about the drunken lady as opposed to these two idiots.

Now for the fish:

1- king released

2-coho 4.36# (7:08am), bloody nose mag, W trl, 2.2sog, ball temp 56.2°, down 59', 105 fow

3-coho 4.56# (11:21am), nbk Xmas tree std, S trl, 2.1sog, ball temp 53.4°, 65 dwn. 108fow

Miss on a low diver with a brads setup watermelon & KG sd

Miss on rigger with bloody nose.

Very bouncing today, but still enjoyed it

7132023145044.thumb.jpg.20e0fb719ac272db24d55560a30c7fc6.jpg

Sent from my Z5156CC using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

• Like 5

I think I heard you on the radio tell them they owe you some money?  It was busy out there today.  Some guys don’t pay attention or care I guess. Sorry to hear about your lost tackle. 

I got a late start. Didn’t prepare last night and had a mess with poles tangled sitting on the boat. How many poles can one line get hooked around?  

Got my lines in around 6:30 and had one on by 6:34.  Quickly came unbuttoned. High diver back 100 ft in 80 fow, moonshine green jeans. 

Had another one on at 6:50 am.  Lost it quickly as well.  Downrigger down 60 ft, bloody nose spoon.

Had some obligations at home so pulled lines at 8:30 am.  Had a shaker on the rigger.  Successfully got it back in the water.

Hit the no wake and saw my starboard rigger cable hanging off the back of the boat.  I didn’t even use that rigger today.  Must of bounced the ball overboard in the sloppy waters and jerked it off on bottom coming in.  Rigger clutch was loose when I noticed. A new one for me.  

• Like 1

Went 5/8 this am off the sliders.  85-100 fow.  White plugs took 4 hits. Mix of copper, divers and riggers took hits.  Pulled lines at 8:30.  SSW troll 2.2-2.5 mph at the ball.

• Like 2

Little Boat, this is very sad that you lost brand new tackle to some knuckleheads.  I have had much success with Brad's Cut Plugs and to lose that right after dropping down is a crime.  On the upside, your coho look like good eaters.  Was planning on taking Fin Warrior out Sunday night with Sweet Caroline across the dock but we punted about 5:00pm as the lake kept building with the the N to NW wind.  Would have gone out this morning had the forecast been a bit more accurate.  But I got the yard cut before the mid day down pours began.

• Like 1

Sea Foam, sorry about your downrigger ball loss.  Last year I had a large white paddle white fly, the last line out of the water that . . .  I for got to get out of the water.  I am on a plane coming in and thinking, man it sounds like a drag is screaming.  Well in fact it was, and when the sound stopped, I took the boat off a plane to check things out and found one rod in the back downrigger rod holder completely spooled.  Pulled the ball up but not the gear.  I felt like an idiot.  Yep it happens.

For what its worth, as much as I am temped, I never leave my 15lb balls on the rigger hooks.  I worry about bad things happening, like ripping the rigger off the back of the boat if the ball goes down so I just leave them in the aft compartment until I set down.  I am sure you are contemplating the same.  Glad you only lost the ball and wire and not the rigger.

• Like 1

Little Boat, this is very sad that you lost brand new tackle to some knuckleheads.  I have had much success with Brad's Cut Plugs and to lose that right after dropping down is a crime.  On the upside, your coho look like good eaters.  Was planning on taking Fin Warrior out Sunday night with Sweet Caroline across the dock but we punted about 5:00pm as the lake kept building with the the N to NW wind.  Would have gone out this morning had the forecast been a bit more accurate.  But I got the yard cut before the mid day down pours began.
I got some replacement flashers coming. Lucky I order a couple of two packs of non-rigged Brad's earlier.

You were smart to stay home that evening. It really got worst. Good call.

Sent from my Z5156CC using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

• Like 1

Sea Foam, sorry about your downrigger ball loss.  Last year I had a large white paddle white fly, the last line out of the water that . . .  I for got to get out of the water.  I am on a plane coming in and thinking, man it sounds like a drag is screaming.  Well in fact it was, and when the sound stopped, I took the boat off a plane to check things out and found one rod in the back downrigger rod holder completely spooled.  Pulled the ball up but not the gear.  I felt like an idiot.  Yep it happens.
For what its worth, as much as I am temped, I never leave my 15lb balls on the rigger hooks.  I worry about bad things happening, like ripping the rigger off the back of the boat if the ball goes down so I just leave them in the aft compartment until I set down.  I am sure you are contemplating the same.  Glad you only lost the ball and wire and not the rigger.

Right on. I listen to your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman