SoHa South Pier 11/14

The whitefish are still in heavy.

Three guys fishing together got their 3 man limit of 30  by 10am.

Out of 10 fisherman as of 10:30 am, when I pulled lines, 55 whitefish and 1 Steelhead were caught. Mostly 3 single, boiled salmon eggs on each of the 2 hooks on each pole. A few were also caught on small spawn bags or spawn clumps.

I caught 4 whities in  2 1/2 hrs.

Last Friday wasn’t as good; I got only 1 whitie but friend got a nice 7 lb steelie. 

Happy Thanksgiving 

86BF932E-8BB5-41F0-A630-6E3DE3DE70C9.jpeg

EC469E60-4A9F-4592-929C-0D652339DED3.jpeg

6AE66675-2637-400D-9CD2-342CA99B19D9.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah I agree…not the right thread for pier reports anyway…but when your reporting about the the SH pier or the black river…which are tiny compared to other rivers and ports…you can expect to have way too many people fishing a small area. Most people is SH that know how to fish don’t post stuff about the black or the pier for that reason. What’s the point of this post anyway. I have fished along side pier guys and I’m sure your pier buddies don’t appreciate your reports each week with the limited room there already is in SH. 

From what I've found from years of pier fishing - get there early to get the spot you want.  If it gets busy, and fish aren't being caught - people leave!  Fish seem to be hit or miss these years.  By the time reports are posted fish have moved on.

Wow!  If I knew I was going to get that kind of reaction to my post from a few people I wouldn’t have done it.

You guys know fishing, they can turn on for a short time and stop biting for a long time.

The fact we do well one day doesn’t mean the next will be as good. It’s been up n down all fall. It seams as if we have one good day we’ll have quite a few that are slow.

I was trying to tell people that they are still in. And, I try to let them know what the pier guys taught me about catching whities n steelhead on the pier. I’ve helped a lot of newbies and they appreciate at it and have a good time. New guy was out with his friend and caught a 7lb steelie.

I can see where some are coming from and will NOT post any future pier reports.

Have a safe winter fishing and a Happy Thanksgiving.

We have a lot to be thankful for. 

17 hours ago, dan agnello said:

Wow!  If I knew I was going to get that kind of reaction to my post from a few people I wouldn’t have done it.

You guys know fishing, they can turn on for a short time and stop biting for a long time.

The fact we do well one day doesn’t mean the next will be as good. It’s been up n down all fall. It seams as if we have one good day we’ll have quite a few that are slow.

I was trying to tell people that they are still in. And, I try to let them know what the pier guys taught me about catching whities n steelhead on the pier. I’ve helped a lot of newbies and they appreciate at it and have a good time. New guy was out with his friend and caught a 7lb steelie.

I can see where some are coming from and will NOT post any future pier reports.

Have a safe winter fishing and a Happy Thanksgiving.

We have a lot to be thankful for. 

WHY DONT YOU 2 JUST CHILL ABOUT THE POST...................IT IS PART OF LAKE MICHIGAN...........................

IF YOU DONT LIKE THE POST.........................DONT READ IT................!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now.

Dan ignore these miserable folks. You fish it often enough you're able to judge when not to post reports. I've netted so many fish myself because there was nobody else fishing on the pier I was on. 

Only once did one of my reports blow up the pier pretty bad. I was still able to get the spot I fished the day before so my regret went away quickly. I got yelled at by tons of folks. What they didn't know was I was fishing alone the 2 previous days. Then 2 days after it was super busy the pier was empty again. So in the long term. I don't regret posting. You know the pier. You got good judgement. You should post when you want. 

For whitefish, most guys are gonna show up with store bought eggs and fish once or twice and never return. Its rare you get a guy who gets the proper eggs & fish it regularly. They all go back to st joe or their home pier. So its kinda hard to blow out the pier with guys when it comes to whitefish. For steelhead there is unlimited room on the beach and there is tons of room in the river. The other rivers have more steelhead so folks won't stick around unless they're super local for the most part.

Thanks for nice response. Appreciate it; unfortunately at our SoHa pier we have pretty much the same guys out there. 
In Nov the guy next to me, Mike, got a little snotty because I called a guy in Tecumseh, MI to give him a report so he would have latest for future trip(s).

So what does he do? He calls Jake to tell him the whitefish bite is very good  and Jake is by us in less than 10 minutes. What a hypocrite.

You can’t make this stuff up.

You’ve probably seen some of my lake reports. I try to help fishermen/women as best I can for where and what worked that day. We all know it can change in 5 minutes, but good place to start; as much as I can, I give updates on the water too.

I want everyone to have as much fun as they can on the water/piers.

No more Black River/pier fishing here; all iced up.