Fished 80-135 fow. 1 for 5, taking a 5# laker early on DR with green ice meat rig, down 77ft, in 89 fow. 2.3 sog, ne troll.

1/3 DR ,after 8am, had a big steelhead,  hit my 150 cu with a ms hulk spoon, fought him for 10 minutes, when another large fish hit my DR, bent the DR rod holder and broke the line as it crossed into join the fight with the steelhead, before I  could get to it to adjust the drag to buy some time.  Both fish crossed each other and took my meat rig on one and spoon on the other, broke the lines and were gone. A GREAT but expensive feeling.  Loaded up another meat rig setup and another fish took it with him. Evidently I'm going use larger lines for the florocarbon leaders. I was using 20#. I think I hit a feeding fenzy moment in that location. I had not lost so much equipment within a 20 minute period.

0/1 of wire diver, blue dolphin
0/1 150 cu. With green ms hulk spoon
Ran some plugs today with no success.

2016-08-08 14.14.15.jpg

Exciting.
I had a king cross over a DR and dipsy line Sunday when fishing solo. Managed to get out of it, but at the time, was thinking I'd be in a mess if one of those other rods had popped. 

Nicely patterned Laker.

Over the years I was breaking off 30 lb stock fly leaders then i went to 50 lb ande mono or 50 lb fluoro for my dispy leads.

The lightest I run elsewhere is 25 lb fluoro leads on my core rigs (as the core is 27 and backing is 30 superline or 30 mono) so if something breaks it will be the leader.

With the big ones out there we will find out where our weakest links are......

• Like 1

Nothing less than 40 lb test mono for my leaders this time of the year.  Doesn't seem to affect the box.  Last year I lost zero tackle.  This year....well I lost a 12 lb cannonball and a chamberlain release with it.  40 lb test wasn't going to help that one.

• Like 1

Yep, that really sucks!!  That's why I use 40# fluoro on flies, 50# fluoro on meat rigs, 30# fl. on CU. and 20# fl. on short leads and I still had a saw-off when a fish ran down against my deep CU.  There are a lot of fish out there dragging hardware this year.  Sorry for your loss, not the hardware but for the fish!!!!

Martin 

• Like 1