Smoked fish from last year?

I had some fish smoked last September that I just found in the fridge. I had it done at big o smoke house. It is vacuum sealed.

Looks fine but I've been reading mixed information on how long vacuum sealed fish will be safe for in the refrigerator.

What do you think?

If it was in the freezer it would be fine. The safety of it is questionable that long in the refrigerator. I use this rule, "If in doubt toss it." Some things are noticeably bad and some things can kill you and look perfectly fine. Maybe others have had experience with this and will chime in. I just wouldn't chance it.

Toss it! Not worth getting sick over. If if was in the freezer the whole time it'd be good.

Go ahead and give it a taste test. If it was smoked in sanitary fashion, it shouldn't make you sick. If it does, you would probably have gotten sick if you ate it last Fall. Most likely if its bad it'll just taste like crap.

I would say --years-- if its vacuum sealed well. I have fresh frozen walleye from erie that was 2 years old this winter frozen in a block of ice and it tasted great!

Smoked fish has way less water in it too so it might not freezer burn as bad too.

I've been bugging my brother that we should smoke a ton, vacuum seal it, and put it in the freezer to forget about it and it never happens. We always eat it too quick!

On a side note... this is on my WANT list... a chamber style vacuum sealer:

http://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-Portable-Chamber-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B003YE8FG0

I read somewhere that in Alaska the foodsaver style vacuum sealers are at every garage sale because people are investing in chamber style sealers. They do a MUCH better job.

Anyone have one that can chime in? I would use it for salmon and venison.