Enough HP?

I might be going to look at a 19' Islander in the next few days. Its powered with twin 40HP evinrudes. This is a bit of a non-traditional config, but I think there could be some upsides. The possible downside is that 80HP might be underpowered for a 19' Islander.

Would it be worth getting a survey on an aluminum boat before purchase?

Any thoughts, feedback on the above would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

i think this would be under powered. will also depend where and how you fish-troll in close all the time or chase the fish where ever they may be. if you were 10 miles out and 1 motor broke down a 40hp pushing a loaded 19 ft boat in 2-3 ft waves could make for a long ride!

We had a 55 then a 70 on an 18' holiday. The 70 was adequate but not enough. She has a 90 etec on her now and it's not fun the ski behind her with the hole shot.

Neighbor had twin 70's on a 22' islander. Wasn't enough. Same output as an iron duke but more weight hanging way back.

From what I could find, that's about a 1300 lb. hull. The 80 hp wouldn't set a speed record, but it might be adequate depending on your needs. I had a 17' glass boat at that approximate weight with a 90 hp and the performance was fine. If you find a good boat that interests you, take a sea trial with a load that represents your intended usage. That will tell you what you need to know.

A survey may or may not be worth the investment depending on the boat cost. A 19' Islander shouldn't be a high dollar boat. Survey depends on what you have the ability to assess. Major issues would be transom, floor rot and hull leaks. Outside of that it's everything mechanical which a mechanic could check.

If you want a fishing boat it will be OK if you want a fast boat not so much. My uncle fishes a 22ft C Dory with a 90hp and a 9.9. cruises between 12 to 15 kts and wide open is 18 to 20kts but he said he has nearly double the range of the 150hp he took off and saved a bunch when he re-powered. If your fishing big water there are few days you can run fast in a small boat anyhow. I ran a 40hp on my 18ft Starcraft Holiday for a season it was turtle slow but still caught fish. It would also fish all day on a 6 gallon tank. Replaced the 40 with a 80 and it was faster but drank nearly double the gas.

The boat would be used mainly for trolling and weekend jaunts on the big lake to anchor and swim with the family. It doesn't need to be fast...

Either way, the seller has stopped communicating with me, so I'm letting it pass. There is also some storage issues which need to be addressed.

Thanks for all the input.

The search continues...

B