New Kayak Fisher from Milwaukee

Hello all,

I started kayak fishing on Lake Michigan in early July and it has become an addiction. I fish out of Milwaukee and my main targets are kings and browns although I have landed a few coho and steelhead out of the yak as well (no lakers yet). I grew up fishing Lake Winnebago for walleyes, sauger, perch, and crappie so the big pond is a big change for me.

I fish mainly in and around the harbors during the colder months but venture out to deep (5+ miles) during the summer so some of you in the Milwaukee/Port Washington area may have seen me out there this year.

I am on a few other forums but stumbled onto this one and have been impressed by the helpfulness and honesty that I have seen by the members on a variety of threads. Looking forward to sharing reports and info this coming year.

-Kal

You'll really like this forum. There are a great group of guys here. I think I am going to start fishing the great lakes next year. There are times I don't have a crew or don't wanna haul around my trophy. Do u happen to have a pic of your setup?

Anyhow, welcome!

Here are a few of my setup. I'll be making a few changes this winter to help with organization.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz342/kalvin_clein77/IMG_1122_zps6cc92734.jpg' alt='IMG_1122_zps6cc92734.jpg'>

IMG_1664_zpsbdf6728b.jpg

Be careful Kalvin, the big pond five miles out is a long swim back. Welcome aboard.

Yes, pfd is on at all times with VHF, flares, and knife strapped to it. Kayak is lit up like a xmas tree at night. I make it a rule for myself that I need to be within sight of power boaters at all times out deep and am always with other kayakers. We have been out in 4 footers and know we can handle it but if anything over 1 ft is forecasted we're staying in the harbor or not going at all.

Since the water cooled off I've been staying within a 2 minute swim of shore and have jumped in with my wetsuit on to see how I handle the cold (not a fun test)

Nice yak! What wilderness model is that and how long?

Thanks! It is a Tarpon 120 which is 12'3" if I remember correctly. I have liked it so far but am looking to upgrade to a hobie or native propel drive in a year or two for some hands free trolling.

Welcome Kal! I always thought it would be fun to land a big king while fishing out of a kayak!

Ha we call it a sleigh ride. I've had fish tow me a 1/2 mile + when the fresh ones started staging outside of the harbor. Can't beat the rush when they start towing you around and you have no control over where they take ya.

Welcome cal , wasn't but last week saw some one with there kayak out there in the river. As of right now the river launch is open but with the East winds there may be some ice flows blowing in .

I heard through the grape vine that there is ice around the docks and in Summerfest lagoon.

Ya yesterday when I went down on my lunch break it was open but I just checked it and the east wind jammed up all of my launch spots with ice today. Was hoping to get out tomorrow but it looks like I'm done until spring unless if we get a midwinter thaw.

Kal , all winter the wind will move ice flows in and out of the river, I was back on the Menominee just off the Milwaukee river and with the east wind we had Ice flows coming backwards. With the barges and the power plant it stays open almost all winter there. as for the river mouth it will open and close depending on what direction the wind is blowing and the temps. Even though we had signal digits this week it would have been open except for the east winds.

If we get a warm period and west winds it may be wide open again , jsut watch the weather, just not John Malon as he does not cover the river.