Christmas Suggestions

Boltman

I'm having a hard time this year, and it's with giving my adult children suggestions for what I want for Christmas from them. It's becuase I really don't need anything ...... Nor want anything ......what is the deal???? I have enough lures I have enough rods and reels now..... Tool I'm good, I don't know what to tell them and it has to be inexpensive gifts at that !!!!!!

I have the same issues with my families....I have 3 kids, who I can't seem to find gifts for because everything out there is the same CRAP they already have. I value the time we spend with their grandparents more than the gifts that people think they need to buy for them. IT goes the other way too, my parents and hers, really don't need anything. Typically we buy a gift certificate to a golf course for my folks, and for hers we buy a gift certificate to a restaurant we know they love that they're likely not going to spend their own money at.

Seems as time has passed, the importance of the season has become lost. I for one, don't need anything, or really want anything from others. I love the little gifts from my kids, and of course from my wife, and hope that she loves them too. But the gifts from the kids make the kids extremely happy just to give daddy something, which is a real treat to see how proud excited they get.

Here is a couple of quick ideas.

1. Check your flairs, they expire every few years.

2. Dunkin Donuts card for your early morning coffee.

3. Batteries, for your probe, flashlights, etc.

4. Boat soap, deck cleaner, simple Green,wax etc. for boat clean up and maintenance

5. Gift card for on oil change for the truck.

6. Mono line for the rigger rods.

7. Ratchet straps, bungies, spider net, etc. for tie downs for the pick up truck

8. Fuel addatives for storage and water removal.

9. Deicer for the car / truck windshield this winter.

10. Rain X or fog X for all your windshields.

11. Cheep hand towels for the boat. Great for clean up or to wipe fish slime off your hands.

12. plano boxes for storage and spoons.

13. Is it time to change your fuel separator?

14. couple of movie tickets if you go.

15. new pair of boat shoes.

16. cup holder for the boat.

17. new ropes for the boat.

18. back up bilge pump.

19. zip lock freezer bags / vacuum bags for your catch.

20. seasonings to cook your catch.

21. a new pair of sunglasses.

22. a new cooler or repair parts for the one you have.

23. spare downrigger weight.

24. spare releases.

25. Fishing / hunting DVD or book

Robert, I'll tell you what worked for me in the past. When something breaks try to get by without it and put it on the Christmas list. Example we had an electric coffee maker go bad so we got by with instant coffee for a month or two. Mr Coffee under the tree. The older we get the more stuff we have. We have a tendency to get what we want and need immediately. If you can hold off a bit let Santa bring it. Some of the other suggestions are great with gift cards etc. There is also stuff like socks, gloves, and clothing but be specific so you get what you need. Aftershave, Perfume, and any number of small things for the car truck or boat will also work. Have them volunteer for a weekend when you have some tough chores to do. Make it fun with a BBQ etc.:)

When I became the adult child, I realized that the holiday money swap was a bunch of BS so just suggested to my parents that we halt the gift exchange and just be happy with getting together at the holiday. We have to travel to do that so there is a significant expense just to rendezvous. We still receive a small check from the folks in a Christmas card and do the same to our children but that's the extent of the gifting. It makes it all so much less of a hassle.

Not much time left now for this idea. Last Christmas a friend of mine gave his daughter a novel gift. He's a welder, does the aluminum/ss type fixtures/radar arches/trees/etc. for boats. From the scrap pieces in the back, he got enough material to make a snook out of aluminum plate that was about 3' long X 18" wide. When she saw the gift, it made her day without question. A lifetime gift/memory is what I also appreciate the most, from the hands and heart of the relative, not so much the store. If they themselves have artistic qualities, or have a friend that does, this lasts.

Thanks guys , damn this is difficult play dough I tried the gift less Christmas idea about 8 years ago and got ass reamed for it, go figure everyone has lost the meaning of Christmas .... Oh wait Do I hear the piano playing the Charlie Brown music ?????? Yes yes I dou4e2ysun.jpgthere here a gift for everyone enjoy the flowers guys No mess either!!!!

Here's another idea, maybe. Since you have 7 children, maybe they could give you and mom a cruise to the Bahamas. It may involve each donating $300+-, to make that $2,000 idea happen in January or February. Don't know if they have that kind of $$ and whether or not dad could get vacation time, or if you don't like cruises either, just another idea though, thanks.