Favorite Big Lake Rod Company

HitMan

What is your favorite or most used Big Lake rod company?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite or most used Big Lake rod company?

• Shimano
    • Eagle Claw
    • Okuma
    • Daiwa
    • Shakespeare
    • Penn
    • St. Croix
    • Other: Post what brand, model, and size

I am curious about what brand of rod is your favorite or what brand you have the most of and why you pick that specific big lake rod company. Also, what model are they and what action and length for Downriggers, Dipsys, Wire, Lead Core, Copper, etc.

I have to vote for Shimano TDR rods in the past and now Shimano Talora rods. I think they are the best rod for the price and the lifetime over the counter warranty is hard to beat. Even though they are a little pricier than other brands, in the long run, I think it is worth the wear and tear on your rods. We use the 8' Medium Light for our Downrigger Rods, the 10'6" Medium for our Dipsy Rods, the 9' Medium for our Lead Core and Copper, and the 10' Roller Guide Rods for our Wire Dipsy Rods.

Well that's a toughy. I am not paid nor do I recieve any freebies from rod manufacturers so I'll just give my opinion based on experience.

I know a fellow Capt. that uses St. Croix and I've got to say "they are sweet".

It's too bad that they discontinued some of their big lake products. Not to mention they are more costly than a lot of folks can afford.

I really like and in fact use several Shimano Talora's. They seem to have made a quality rod while keeping it lightweight and fun for my customers. However I have had to return a few for replacement due to broken eyelets. Just as the Tekota reels, I think they are still working the bugs out. I, like many others jumped on the bandwagon due to the hype of my fellow anglers with the onset of the Tekota Reels and Talora Rods. It's kind of a status issue in the angling world. Just a little pricey though.(all that advertising can't be cheap)

The handle grip on the Okumas is very easy for young and old, small or big to hang on to during the battle. The angler doesn't need to put the squeeze on it to keep the rod from rolling over in your hands. This definately reduces fatigue over the course of a battle allowing weaker folks to land their own fish rather than get tired and hand the rod off to others. Other manufacturers would be wise to follow up with this design.

All in all for salmon trolling my hat goes off to the Shakespeare UglyStik. It is extremely durable and sensitive enough in a lighter weight to be fun at a very reasonable price. The lifetime guarantee can't be beat either. Some of the other companies have started copying both the toughness and the guarantee to gain the marketshare and now act like they invented something new in the world of angling. So Shakespeare must be doing something right! ( Best form of flattery, right? ;) ) Time tested, angler approved!

All in all for salmon trolling my hat goes off to the Shakespeare UglyStik.

I still have a UglyStik I grew up walleye fishing with. It is now 21 years old and still gives out a whooping. Never even thought of 'em for Salmon but obviously I will............