Garmin Echo 550c vs Hummingbird 596c HD DI

I have a Garmin GPSMAP chart plotter on the boat and prefer a smaller separate fish finder. I'm looking to replace my fishfinder and this Garmin and HB both look impressive from the ads and reviews. But always good to get comments from someone who has used them for salmon.

Any experience with these units?

Show rigger balls beneath the boat?

Track bottom well?

Show fish while at speed?

Or spend twice as much and get the Furuno FCV627?

Thanks,

Mike

Put a Garmin Echo 550 on the boat last year. Same as you, wanted a smaller unit on the dash.

Any experience with these units? Very happy with it. A friend got one after seeing it on my boat and he is happy with his.

Show rigger balls beneath the boat? Yes. Marks the thermocline. Marks fish and bait very well too.

Track bottom well? Yes

Show fish while at speed? No but I have not played with the transducer position to try to dial this in.

Or spend twice as much and get the Furuno FCV627? You cannot go wrong with a Furuno.

Usally the problem for most finders is that if you transom mount the transducer you will get alot of cavitation and reduce the units ability to mark fish at cruising speed. The way to get the best performance out of your finder is to mount a thru hull transducer just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, you can't go wrong with Furuno, no doubt. But I'm comfortable with Garmin having used their products for years, and believe I am going to get the 550c.

Thanks again for the comments.

I would make sure you order the right unit. The GPSMAP 550 is an older discontinued unit with preloaded maps for Australia and the UK, not so helpful in michigan

The units out right now with the great lakes maps in them are:

GPSMAP 541s - lower resolution/Power version of the 546s

GPSMAP 546s- 1Kw dual frequency sonar with the power to run 3d charts

GPSMAP 547xs - CHRIP sonar, just came out this month

EchoMap 50s - HD ID dual frequency sonar with wireless connectivity.

If you let me know a budget and what features you find most important I can help you pick the right one.

Thanks HONDAM.

I already have a GPSMAP 546 which I bought 2 years ago to have a separate chart plotter from a fishfinder. What I should have said in my reply was that I plan to get a Garmin Echo 550c to replace my old Garmin 300c.