Help me make a list and pass the time

coralee

OK so I'm flat on my back for a few weeks and going stir crazy. I'm making a list for things for the spring fishing show. Any ideas on must have items (setups, gear, whatever) on the list for this year or which vendors to see at the GR show? Posts or PMs appreciated. Info on boat stuff as well to set up a Slickcraft 235. I will need a couple tracks, tree's, rod holders and? Looking for stuff to pass the time. Any other posts, websites, articles etc that you found good I'd be interested in also. Had surgery on my foot and the first few weeks need to lay back with the foot up and that gets old quick so I'm looking for something to pass the time. Thankfully my son was able to hook me up on the side off my bed to get online.

Thanks for any info you have to keep me busy.

Personally I would start looking through the gallery here at other people's boats to get ideas. I know every time I fish with someone else I usually learn something or see something that I would change or upgrade on my boat. Nothing major, just some tweaking. I also think it's a good idea to look at boats that are completely different than yours. You might see something that you wouldn't expect to work. After that it's just figuring out what you have, what you would like to add, and what you can afford to do. I always like to add 1 new setup, technique or presentation every year. One thing I like about big lake fishing is that it always seems to be evolving and there is always something to learn. Feel better soon.

I like Nicks suggestion on adding one setup a year...keeps it realistic and economical...I jumped into the sport a little too fast and spent a lot of money pretty quickly...happy I did it ultimately, but I like the idea of a setup a year. I would concentrate on difference presentations as opposed to different lures. I find that presentations (200 copper, 300 copper, 450, dipseys, downs, etc) tend to catch fish no matter what you throw at them some days. That being said, I do have some favorite spoons on my boat, but it seems like when they are hitting 200 coppers - everybody (with different colors and spoons) is doing well on 200's.

Here's a quick few items that I see a lot of anglers neglecting sometimes for years without improvements and they aren't that expensive: 1) new net, plenty of choices, and many improvements made in recent years. 2) new filet knife and sharpener, seen many very good new ones and old Forschner makes alike with improvements. 3) rebuilding old reels you favor, many old reels need new draqs, gears, handles. Get well fast Bob, sorry to hear you are laid up, but at least it's not prime time fishing season.

Wow there is a lot of good stuff here. I never thought of browsing the gallery. I was looking and found some of Jimbobbers pics and spent quite a while just browsing his pics. (Thanks Jim)

Thanks for all the good ideas

Also figured out I need to look for some trolling bags.

Talk to Bob at Big Papa Sportfishing if you want trolling bags. He's local to Michigan and makes them himself (well, actually I think it's Mrs Bob :)). Bob is a great resource to discuss your boat with to get the right size bag and stands behind his products too. I know he has been at the Flint Steelheader's show and I'm pretty sure he also exhibits in GR. The web site is http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com. Give him a call or stop by the booth at a show and he will help you get the right thing.