Knife sharpeners (sharpening?)

I tried to cut up some veggies this week with my wife's kitchen knives and had to go get my fillet knife they were so bad. Anyone know of a good sharpener that will sharpen very dull heavy kitchen knives? I have some OK sharpeners (the V type) to try to keep my fillet knives sharp but even they could use a good tune up.

Also does anyone have info on a good place near Holland to take knives to get a razor edge??

Thanks

I don't know where to get them--I got mine at a sports show in Cincinnati about 9 years ago, but I have a set of three "v" type progressive sharpeners you lay flat on the edge of a table. Does a wonderful job. I'll get some pictures and post them.

Dave

I've used butcher steels for years (about 30), and they work great. You do need somewhat of an edge first. If my knives are really dull, I use a fine file to get a good taper back a ways on each side, then use the steel. Works great. I've used the stones over there years and they will get you a razor edge, but take some time. They make some really good sharperners out there that will give you a great uniform razor edge everytime. One I've heard alot of good on is the "Lansky". Once you get a knife sharp, if have a buffing wheel you could put on a grinder, that will make it like a razor.;)Would be my choice if I were to get one.

I have a Edgemaker set like Dave shows in his blog but I don't even know where it is it might be with my other sharpeners. I also have a Steel I have used for 40 plus years and my grandmother used long before that. I have a 3 piece set of flat diamond hones that are in the kitchen drawer they work great with the steel. For general sharpening I use a Rada Quick Edge. I also have several other sharpeners that all work pretty good one that I carry when wading on the river is about the size of a pencil and has a round diamond hone with a v groove and a flat side it will touch up knives and hooks pretty good. However when I am serious about getting my knives sharp I have a 6in grinder with a medium and soft buffing wheel on it.

The Lansky is a good sharpener I have had one for many years. It works best on shorter blades and broadheads. I also have an Edge Pro Apex, also a fine sharpener. It works best for sharpening longer blades like kitchen knives and fillet knives. the edge pro can be set to match any any angle so you can maintain the factory angle which can save alot of time becasue you don,t have to remove as much metal. I sharpened a friend's hunting knife with the Edge Pro (the Lansky is capable of this too) and he brought it back after dressing a deer and asked me to "make it not quite so sharp". A ceramic stick or a smooth steel is good for maintaining an edge. Their function is to stand the edge up after it has been bent, and are not intended to remove material.

One thing to remember when picking a sharpener is that you want to remove as little metal as possible. Most knives are not hard all the way through and once you have removed the hard surface of the edge they will not stay sharp.

Sorry for the delayed reply!

Use the one with the lines, first, working up to the fine hone.

Dave

Dave - I have the Orange one you have in your blog photos. One side is for "honing" and the other is for "sharpening." Which do you do first?

One piece of advice from learning the hard way. Stay away from the V sharpeners that have the carbide cutting inserts. they will start to gouge the blade and destroy it if you cant hold the knife at a perfect constant pressure and pull it through at the same speed each time.

Thanks guys. I have the orange one and it seems to work quite good at keeping a decent edge but unless I didn't spend enough time it didn't seem to help at all on the big heavy very dull kitchen knife. I think I may try the 3 pack of them for normal use and just take them to someone when they get beyond my ability to get them razor sharp.