Rainbows, Cohos and a Big King!

Hi everyone,

The following is a sampling of the fish we caught during week one of the Great Ontario Salmon Derby including one Chinook just over 25 pounds.

We have also been experimenting with a cannonball camera setup to add to the angles we already have and have included a few rough sequences in this video. The next video to be posted will be just a compilation of the best from those cameras - some cool footage and it's interesting watching the salmon and trout behaviours just prior to the strike.

For those interested, most of our fish during the week came from the balls set at 80, 90 and 100 feet in 100 to 315 FOW and the wire dipseys on the 3 setting back 250'. Predominantly a flasher/fly bite with greens being the most productive and a number taken on spoons, also glow green with dark spots.

Hope you enjoy,

Edited by Nailer
fixed link

ive seen a few videos of at the ball action and what i am finding curious is how many time the fish miss...it seems if you are going to slow they loose interest ans swim around the bait, but dial it up a notch and they light up....as long as your lures are running right i don't think you can go too fast, particularly this time of the year with the warm water and bait in that warm water

nice vid!! keep all the camera angles....

ive seen a few videos of at the ball action and what i am finding curious is how many time the fish miss...it seems if you are going to slow they loose interest ans swim around the bait, but dial it up a notch and they light up....as long as your lures are running right i don't think you can go too fast, particularly this time of the year with the warm water and bait in that warm water

nice vid!! keep all the camera angles....

We'll be posting our view from the cannonball video shortly and it shows a number of fish that don't fully commit to the bait as well as the takers.

What is amazing is how many fish appear behind the baits and just follow at a distance from the moment the balls reach depth to the moment the balls are raised.

Thanks again for watching and commenting!

We'll be posting our view from the cannonball video shortly and it shows a number of fish that don't fully commit to the bait as well as the takers.

What is amazing is how many fish appear behind the baits and just follow at a distance from the moment the balls reach depth to the moment the balls are raised.

Thanks again for watching and commenting!

do you have real time feed while filming?? it be interesting to see an induced bite by speeding up then doing a neutral drop.....

today...maybe yesterday... might have been two days ago, ...does it matter... i was dropping and raising lines on riggers, letting line out and reeling them in on boards...mind you only ten feet at a crack, but i finally got a fish to eat off a high line....I reeled in a bunch of line, no more than turned around....bing......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ "FISH ON!! HIGH BOARD!! HIGH BOARD!! I know it was because i had "toyed" with the line, but doing it blind can be a lot of work..

then again i have a funky little dance that works at times too...

do you have real time feed while filming?? it be interesting to see an induced bite by speeding up then doing a neutral drop.....

today...maybe yesterday... might have been two days ago, ...does it matter... i was dropping and raising lines on riggers, letting line out and reeling them in on boards...mind you only ten feet at a crack, but i finally got a fish to eat off a high line....I reeled in a bunch of line, no more than turned around....bing......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ "FISH ON!! HIGH BOARD!! HIGH BOARD!! I know it was because i had "toyed" with the line, but doing it blind can be a lot of work..

then again i have a funky little dance that works at times too...

LOL

Hi Phisy, no, we don't have realtime viewing with the current camera setup - simply 'set it and forget it'.

We do exactly the same thing as you are describing with constantly turning and moving balls up and down slightly when marking a follower on the Lowrance. It has worked out quite well for us. We also just keep track of initial ball speed and if strikes were on the inside or outside of a turn and adjust speeds accordingly. Real time would be nice but there has to be some anticipation ... ;)

William, your videos are outstanding! If you don't mind me asking what camera are you using, I see a few GoPros on the boat but how about for underwater footage? How is it attached to the ball and what is the blowback like? Again those are some awesome videos, I subscribed to the channel!

William, your videos are outstanding! If you don't mind me asking what camera are you using, I see a few GoPros on the boat but how about for underwater footage? How is it attached to the ball and what is the blowback like? Again those are some awesome videos, I subscribed to the channel!

Thanks for the comments and for subscribing, SPOONWASHER!! For the various fishing videos we are using some combination of Canon XF300, 2 Canon XF100's, Canon 7D and 8 GoPro's. We're still working on the best mounting arrangement, however for the cannonball cams (GoPro's). We did another trial run last night but haven't reviewed the footage yet. As soon as we work this out we'll post here.

Thanks again for watching!