Should I do this or not?

After having being asked many times if a charter at the marina in Port Sanilac as there is not one there,! I was thinking maybe I should get in on this for next year and get certified to be a captain, and do some weekend trips or not just let somone else beat there head off the wall:D I"am looking at buy a 26' boat also by fall found a realy good one.

A great way to become a millionaire if you start with 2 million and quit while you still have one. Like any business it has it's pros and cons, just don't look through rose colored glasses and realize it's a business.

With fuel prices high I would take a long hard look.

And if you like real early mornings followed by late nights, cleaning the boat, cleaning fish, going over your rods and tackle, fixing whatever might need to be fixed on the boat and trying to get some decent food, replacing what was lost or broke, it just might be for you. And you better be a good salesman also, because people won't be beating your door down needing to go fishing and picking you. It is a great job, but it isn't easy.

I have a few close friends who are captains. I was thinking of doing it part time. But the money you make part time isn't that great compared to the expenses. Talk to a couple captains and really look at the expenses that are involved. You may break even doing it part time or make a little. As was said people won't be beating down your door with this economy and what you have to charge to cover expenses. With the price of the class, license, inspections.

You also have to look at other expenses as insurance is totally different for charter boats, a whole lot more. It is not a standard insurance policy. Then if your not good at accounting you have a accountant involved. You'll have taxes and business licensing. This is stuff they showed me and the it takes the fun out of fishing and changes it to a job. I workded on some of these boats (full time boats 7 days a week) through high school and to be totally honest after six years of being a mate i really didn't want to go out on a boat. It really took the fun out of it for me. Just some things to consider

Thanks guys:thumb: very interesting this input is important and I want to have fun fishing, at this stage of my life I thinks I may be to old to try this gig so I guess I just stay at haveing fun fishing:cool: but I'am still going to look at buying a bigger boat a 26' Bertram.

Thanks again:thumb: