Night trolling for kings?

Anyone trolling at night for salmon?

I've heard of it but don't know anyone who has done it.

What to do? Same game? Lots of glow? Shallow?

What about just starting an hour or two early instead of just before first light.

Ramp traffic would sure be light.

You might be able to tell that I don't get out enough times each year and want to get more time on the water when I can. If I'd just be using gas and washing lures I guess sleep would be more productive. But if I can put a couple extra in the box...

Did pretty good last year after dark, like you I can only go, when I can go. There seems to be a bit if a lull at " first dark" we stick it out another an hour or two and usually hook the biggest of the night. We always start moving a little shallower then we were at prime time. Glows work well, make sure your boat is well organized before you get your first fish.

I do a fair amount of night fishing for salmon. Full moon seems best. Moonshine spoons work real well and make sure you are organized. Night time is no time for accidents. I also have my boat set up with 2 flood lights and I put reflector tape on the ends of all of my rods and on my Church boards.

My favorite time to fish is during a full moon in the middle of the night. Most times we stick with glow spoons, don't pay attentiont to water temp and look for fish high in the water. We end up running downriggers high like 10-20' down, flat lines off planer boards, the fish don't seem boat shy in the dark, full moon on clear night you can see fairly well. We fish from about midnight to dawn then sleep all day. Its fire drill when a adult king hits a spoon 10' down and 20' back and passes the boat. Good luck and be extra safe.

We used to get out early (way before sun up) and fish glows for about two hours or so, right up through sun up and then switch everything over about an hour after sun up. Some great advice from others here - have your stuff in order. It's dark out there away from shore and not many people out there to help you out if you get in trouble. Some nice flood lights pointed backward are almost necessary for netting and seeing your boards.

During the dog days of summer I will get on the water some mornings by 3:30am which is pretty early. Right now the fish dont seem to be really picky about the sun being up or not. Fishing in the dark is reserved for moonshine lures and a chrome lighted J Plug, please trust me if your gonna fish in the dark you NEED that J Plug. Dont waste your money on the wonderbread one though