Thin fins

I'm not really complaining but I just thought I'd bring this up. I see in posts that a bunch of people use thin fins early in the season and do really well. After going out Saturday it reminded me how I simply can't catch anything with them. For three years now I've put them on in the coho run and I don't remember catching a single fish. In the first year I'd have close to half my rods set with them in various colors but mostly the dark orange with black stripes. Mostly the "new" kind but I do have some of the old ones from my dad. Now, I put one on "just to see". Speed anywhere from 2-3 and depth all over the place but mostly less than 20.

Like I said, not complaining because I've been doing pretty well with Rapala's and Flashers and Flies. Just thought it was weird.

Sometimes the fish want bodybaits sometimes they want spoons. Saturday was a spoon bite for us out of Grand Haven!!! I ran the red with black tiger stripes and caught coho's on them not Saturday!!! All spoon bite for us!!!

All I can figure is that it has got to be a speed thing.

MAYBE. Sounds like to tried that though.

I've been on trips in South Haven and St Joe that if you didn't have a Red with black lines Brads Thin Fin on your were not catchign fish.

I will also say this - we pulled clown J9s, perch J9, orange mini paddle with blue and green peanut fly, orange and white size 9, etc etc on Saturday, but the only lure that caught our one fish was a Red with Black lines Brads thin fin on mono on the inner board.

Go figure.

one of the best baits there is in the spring for ho's. I run them using clean mono long lines with walleye boards or will run them on the rigger 6 to 8' behind downrigger ball. Red tiger and gold with orange back are the only two I really run. Make sure like the other guys said that they are Brads thin fins with the rattle. Good luck.

i dont understand how you could run anything that much during the spring coho thing without catching some fish. i,ve fished new buffalo in april and caught fish on anything i put out. its got to just be one of those wierd fishing things,LOL. try anything in the early spring, you just never know whats going to be hot. and i always tike to use a big broken back rainbow trout pattern about 8 or 10 ft behind the ball about 15 to 18 ft down on my riggers for kings when coho fishing. if im in deep enough water.

sherman

I bought the Storm Thin Fins at Gander a few weeks ago in all white. A white Rogue has been HOT for us on BT. Well, that Thin Fin was on fire the minute we set it out.

Last season we ran those orange with black strips thin fish from Brads. The Cohos couldn't keep their mouth off of them the first half of the month of May. We also had really good luck with the Challenger Lady Bug color for Cohos during that same period. About half way through the month the body bait bite just took a dive, and we noticed Honey Bees and Super Slims were the ticket.

Sometimes the fish just don't want a body bait. Other times they cant keep away from them. I guess the point here is try them. If they aren't working get them out and change it up until something fires.