Blood Run Copper vs whatever

Whats the big difference between blood run 32lb test copper and any other brand of copper like howie? Just readin alot of reports with blood run, whats so much better about this stuff?

Flyboy

the biggest difference is Blood Run is much more user friendly. There was a huge advancement in copper when the nickle plated stuff was introduced a few years back and Blood Run has taken it to another level. Blood Run copper is softer and more pliable than any other copper i have ever used.

The 32lb copper fishes very similar to leadcore. No issues with huge back spools trying to send out the copper. Its fisherman friendly with the advantage of being able to fish the same target zone with less amount of line as similar leadcore setups.

All of the above. It's also easy to splice.

Ther is a 3/2 depth advantage over core.

You don't get the feeling of reeling in cable, like the 45# standard.

Edited by Nailer

Good idea if you're relpacing leadcore, but won't dive anywhere near 45 copper which is the whole idea of copper in the first place. Plus I've noticed that sometimes the fish just plain want leadcore and not copper so I wouldn't give mine up. I changed to Morgan Super copper this year from Howie Super copper and haven't noticed any huge advantages but it is certainly better than regular copper is to work with. There's only a handfull of wire manufacturers so I'm guessing that most of our Copper is made by the same place regardless of who sold it to us.

There's only a handfull of wire manufacturers so I'm guessing that most of our Copper is made by the same place regardless of who sold it to us.

Champ, have you ever used or seen 32#?

Blood Run is made just for them. Like the Dog said, it is made with a slower twist, so its more pliable.

The charter captains of Profishent Charters Tested/developed the 32# to be easy to use.

I use it and love it. Not because I know the guys that make it, because it just plane produces fish.

I did not know the guys that make it before I started using it. After using it, I called them for advice, and they where more than willing to help.

Gregg told me if I ever need advice or help to just call. To have the ability to call a captain that runs 3 boats to give you help is priceless.

%90 of our fish this year have come on 32# copper. That will most likely change as the water warms, but in the spring before the breaks set up It will keep going out.

You can also down size you reels with 32# v core.

200' of 32# will go as deep as 300' of core.

45# has it's place for deep fish, but it's just to much like cable, and is harder to work with.

Champ, have you ever used or seen 32#?

Blood Run is made just for them. Like the Dog said, it is made with a slower twist, so its more pliable.

The charter captains of Profishent Charters Tested/developed the 32# to be easy to use.

I use it and love it. Not because I know the guys that make it, because it just plane produces fish.

I did not know the guys that make it before I started using it. After using it, I called them for advice, and they where more than willing to help.

Gregg told me if I ever need advice or help to just call. To have the ability to call a captain that runs 3 boats to give you help is priceless.

%90 of our fish this year have come on 32# copper. That will most likely change as the water warms, but in the spring before the breaks set up It will keep going out.

You can also down size you reels with 32# v core.

200' of 32# will go as deep as 300' of core.

45# has it's place for deep fish, but it's just to much like cable, and is harder to work with.

Yup, Ken is 100% on this one. Awsome product and great costumer support.:thumb:

That's not the point I was making- stop being so defensive. We used to run a spread of 1/2 30 lb copper and 1/2 45 lb copper so, yes, I've seen firsthand the use of smaller diameter copper. I wasn't disputing the pliability of the copper either, again, relax. I was making a point that I do not see the point after having days where our 30 lb copper wasn't being touched but identical setups with leadcore were- that's proof enough. I've heard good things about Blood Run, not disputing that whatsoever, but there is facts and there is opinions.

Opinion- Blood Run is good copper- I have no reason to disagree.

FACT- sometimes fish don't want copper at all, they want the action of leadcore.

Opinion- every manufacturer of copper is different

FACT- there's only 2 or 3 manufacturers of wire in the US that sell this stuff. While I'd be willing to support the fact that Blood Run is of better quality with a more relaxed twist/inch count which is making it easier to work with. But it also takes more to dive when the density is lowered (less twists per inch).

At our seemingly slower wisconsin speeds we saw no advantage of 30 lb copper over leadcore which is why we keep both, maybe you running faster see serious advantages, if so then I'm more than extatic for you.

I'm not starting a discussion saying that Blood Run is no good and you shouldn't run it, which is what you seem to keep outing me on. I'm saying that if you find issues in running 45 lb copper then you aren't doing it right. It's not as easy as leadcore (and probaly not as easy as 32 lb blood run) but it's not brain surgery to run this stuff, or even deploy and retrieve it. Simple things like using the clicker and adjusting your spool tension or even which rods you're using or which knot you're using can make a good setup like 45 lb copper seem like a major PITA when in fact it's operator neglegence 99% of the time.

That's not the point I was making- stop being so defensive. We used to run a spread of 1/2 30 lb copper and 1/2 45 lb copper so, yes, I've seen firsthand the use of smaller diameter copper. I wasn't disputing the pliability of the copper either, again, relax. I was making a point that I do not see the point after having days where our 30 lb copper wasn't being touched but identical setups with leadcore were- that's proof enough. I've heard good things about Blood Run, not disputing that whatsoever, but there is facts and there is opinions.

FACT- sometimes fish don't want copper at all, they want the action of leadcore.

FACT- there's only 2 or 3 manufacturers of wire in the US that sell this stuff. While I'd be willing to support the fact that Blood Run is of better quality with a more relaxed twist/inch count which is making it easier to work with. But it also takes more to dive when the density is lowered (less twists per inch).

At our seemingly slower wisconsin speeds we saw no advantage of 30 lb copper over leadcore which is why we keep both, maybe you running faster see serious advantages, if so then I'm more than extatic for you.

I'm not starting a discussion saying that Blood Run is no good and you shouldn't run it, which is what you seem to keep outing me on. I'm saying that if you find issues in running 45 lb copper then you aren't doing it right. It's not as easy as leadcore (and probaly not as easy as 32 lb blood run) but it's not brain surgery to run this stuff, or even deploy and retrieve it. Simple things like using the clicker and adjusting your spool tension or even which rods you're using or which knot you're using can make a good setup like 45 lb copper seem like a major PITA when in fact it's operator neglegence 99% of the time.

pm sent

I see your point completely and you are 100% correct ,there are days when lead core is way better than copper. Theres no two ways around that, sorry for the hard feelings.

And im with you ,I have both copper and core om the boat.:)

Thank you for the kind words about our products, it is greatly appreciated. Most of what has been said here is true, and as always there is a good amount of opinion, hopefully we can address some of this in this post.

Our copper fishing line is specifically manufactured for Blood Run based upon our field testing, and it is not the same wire used by our competitors. Our primary competitors all make excellent products of which we still personally use regularly in field testing against our products. Each has its own pliability, usability and fishability characteristics. Whichever line you are most comfortable fishing with is the right line for you, whether it is Blood Run or another brand.

Before we introduced our products, we fished over 25 different twist rates and diameter combinations on several charter and recreational boats for 3 years before we ended up with our final product. We believe our product to be the closest to being the most user friendly copper fishing line on the market.

We introduced the 32lb copper as a replacement for short leadcore segments due to requests by our customers and field testers who had success with it over short leadcore. The fishing dynamics of short copper segments compared to short leadcore segments are in fact different. This, coupled with the smaller reel requirement, with smaller levelwind guides (need for small knots), and smaller reel capacities have validated this marketplace for us with the smaller diameter product. Numerous fisherman, both professional and recreational can attest to its ability to outfish short leadcore in many situations.

Our larger diameter copper is heavier duty, ideal for larger reels with big levelwind guides and capacities. It is not the ideal choice for anglers fishing top water or skinny water for light fighting species like coho, browns and steelhead. This is where the smaller diameter copper shines.

Depth charts are not an exact science, and there are plenty of examples where in fact the smaller and larger diameter coppers run very close to each other in certain conditions. Orientation into, across, or with the underwater currents is the single most important variable to how and where copper fishes. You will notice that copper outproduces divers and riggers trolling in certain directions, then it does in others. This has much to do with its resistance (or lack thereof) in the water, and ultimately impacts its true running depth. Obviously speed, lure, leader material, leader length all play an important role as well.

We continue to work at improving our products, and sharing our tactics for success with our customers to enable them to put more fish in the box. Better knots, different types of planer boards, certain segments of certain diameters in certain situations are examples of information we try to bring to the marketplace every day through our field staff members fishing reports to make our customers more successful on the water.

Feel free to contact us at any time for questions or comments about our products...