Chart Plotters and Chart Plotting Software

So I picked up a chart plotter last year and purchased a few different Navionics chips for fishing WI and Lake Michigan. The chips add some nice detail but I wonder in addition to the chips, who here utilizes any chart plotting software while at home on their computer?

I'm sure there are plenty out there but Navionics has a program called NavPlanner2 that comes preloaded with charts but also gives you the option to link your chips to the program and map out structures ahead of time, before hitting the water. I know we have some real sharpies around here, charter captains included, and thus, I'm curious if they find these programs helpful, if there are other options, etc.?

Inormally fish the Winthrop Harbor, IL and Kenosha areas but think a program like this could save some time while on the water, particularly in new locations.

Thank guys.

So I picked up a chart plotter last year and purchased a few different Navionics chips for fishing WI and Lake Michigan. The chips add some nice detail but I wonder in addition to the chips, who here utilizes any chart plotting software while at home on their computer?

I'm sure there are plenty out there but Navionics has a program called NavPlanner2 that comes preloaded with charts but also gives you the option to link your chips to the program and map out structures ahead of time, before hitting the water. I know we have some real sharpies around here, charter captains included, and thus, I'm curious if they find these programs helpful, if there are other options, etc.?

Inormally fish the Winthrop Harbor, IL and Kenosha areas but think a program like this could save some time while on the water, particularly in new locations.

Thank guys.

I use a chart plotter on my PC all the time. It's a nice planning tool. If I'm going into unfamiliar water I spend a half hr on the PC checking it out. I find it a lot easier viewing on the PC than looking at paper charts. I do use a laptop as a chartplotter on my boat.

I use a program called coastal explorer, you download the raster or vector maps from NOAA . The maps will cover the coast line of the US and the Great lakes.

You can even get up to date changes when they are uploaded.

capturejasp.jpg

I can even print out a map if needed. This is zoomed out most of the way. and there are different maps that are quilted in so as you zoom in the detail increases too.

capturepasp2.jpg

I use a program called coastal explorer, you download the raster or vector maps from NOAA . The maps will cover the coast line of the US and the Great lakes.

You can even get up to date changes when they are uploaded.

capturejasp.jpg

I can even print out a map if needed. This is zoomed out most of the way. and there are different maps that are quilted in so as you zoom in the detail increases too.

capturepasp2.jpg

Jim, how do you get these charts/routs from your computer to your gps?

Jim, how do you get these charts/routs from your computer to your gps?

I imported the files from map source that I had saved. I could also import back into the program . I don't know if its possible with others. I just put in a Lowrance hds5 and I am still trying to figure out how to do it on that one. If you have the room and have a laptop its the way to go for charts. Someone told me you can pick up a usb puck cheep and just use the laptop on the boat for you chart plotter. The map files are all free.

http://www.oceangrafix.com/o.g/Charts/GreatLakes/NOAA-Nautical-Charts.html

I stumbled around and found the software, from inside the software I was able to find all the charts in vector and raster formats. The link at the top of the page will get you started in an online viewer.

Every Plotter will most likely use a different file format.

You would just have to figure out which one to use.

My hds5 unit is much more complicated then my garmin 265w. and I haven't had the time to mess around with it . The only thing that's gets transferred is the way points and the routes. Not the maps.

Hey Jim I have the HDS 5M chart plotter and I'm in the same boat. Trying to figure out how to import and export data back and forth between the plotter and the computer. I should have the NavPlanner 2 program this coming week and then I'll start trying to figure everything out.

Well Phil I just finished figuring it out, you can access the data from the pages menu button will bring up your SD card data , It reads a few different formats . I used GPX. Imported all my data ,I now have all my saved way points and trails.

And it was very interesting to see why the fish were caught in certain places.

I had a spot marked as structure from early in the season and now its very obvious why. I can continue to use coastal explorer for my mapping work on the computer.

hey phil - Jalensky's is having their seminar series this weekend and they have Lowrance and Navionics reps there. If you have a free minute to stop by, they may be able to help answer any questions for you.

I have been just looking into this myself. I had also been talking to a Navionics rep at a boating show. He suggested we may want to try thr app for Ipad's. Since the new Ipad is now out I may consider this as I could also take onto the boat and would be more portable that a laptop. So rather than look at a pc app I may consider the Ipad app INAVX. You can then allo download ENC or RNC rasters from NoAA as well as buy the Navionics maps.

I currently use Lowrance on the boat and as a handheld with the Canada Premiere chip and a Great Lakes chip.

I thought this might be a rinky dink solution on an Ipad but any googling so far seems to point out that this is a respected and used solution in the sailing communities. I even told my wife it may be only good for use in the cuddy in adverse weather but I also see they make weather poof cases for this purpose.

Anybody else know more about this?

I have been just looking into this myself. I had also been talking to a Navionics rep at a boating show. He suggested we may want to try thr app for Ipad's. Since the new Ipad is now out I may consider this as I could also take onto the boat and would be more portable that a laptop. So rather than look at a pc app I may consider the Ipad app INAVX. You can then allo download ENC or RNC rasters from NoAA as well as buy the Navionics maps.

I currently use Lowrance on the boat and as a handheld with the Canada Premiere chip and a Great Lakes chip.

I thought this might be a rinky dink solution on an Ipad but any googling so far seems to point out that this is a respected and used solution in the sailing communities. I even told my wife it may be only good for use in the cuddy in adverse weather but I also see they make weather poof cases for this purpose.

Anybody else know more about this?

Keep me updated on what you do, I received an I pad for 25yrs of service , right now its just an extra computer, with some fun apps.

and a place to put my pictures.

Keep me updated on what you do, I received an I pad for 25yrs of service , right now its just an extra computer, with some fun apps.

and a place to put my pictures.

Will do but likely something that may take a while.