First Trip out AFTER Winterization

Ok so it's no secret that this will be my second season (first full season) on the big lake.

Due to circumstances, I only used our boat for the months of July and August and had it pretty much wrapped up in September. The engine was winterized and the leads removed from the batteries. I realize I will need to recharge the batteries, and check all the safety gear (VHF radio, etc.) but is there anything I should do separately when running my first trip out this season?

Basically, do you guys take extra time to warm up your engine, baby the engine for some time before going full throttle, adjust speeds as opposed to just sticking to one trolling speed primarily? Anything else you would recommend?

My boat has a 4 stroke 115HP Mercury and while I think I'll just take some precautions on my first trip back out, I was just wondering if there was anything else you guys recommend.

Thanks all.

If your boat is accessible now and your charger will do a float charge or maintenance charge i would do that now. As for running the motor I would not go hog wild right out of the gate . but once its warmed up it should be fine. I would definitely add some fresh gas .

On my last boat I kept my battery's in my shop and kept a float charge on them.

One thing a lot of people forget in the gear to check is the fire extinguisher. Usually i start it at home first before proceeding to the launch and let it run and look everything on the engine making sure no fuel or water is leaking from anywhere. I didn't do it one year and ran into some problems after getting out of the harbor a ways. Hose clamp came loose on my exhaust risers. I noticed that the bilge pumps started kicking on every few minutes and when i lifted the hatch found the house spewing water into the engine compartment. I will NEVER skip that step again. although being an outboard not quite so much of a problem for flooding the boat. Also put some water in your bilge and make sure your pumps are working good and not squealing. Its good to pull them out of the bracket and make sure no fishing line is in the impellors of your bilge pumps.

I guess for me every year I go down my pre-trip check list but one thing I never leave without is Tow Boat US on my speed dial. Then the first thing I do once in water is spend about 30 mins in Muskegon lake doing shake down stuff checking bilges, watching the gauges, idle for a while to make sure it will troll on old gas verify everything works then go fishing.

I thought about running the outboard with hose out in the driveway just to make sure starting fine, batt, etc.

This is something everyone should do every year. Better to find out in the driveway instead of blocking up the launch at 6am in the morning and having a wasted trip. It also saves your friends at the launch from sucking in that cloud of fogging oil that gets burned off on your first start up.

This is something everyone should do every year. Better to find out in the driveway instead of blocking up the launch at 6am in the morning and having a wasted trip. It also saves your friends at the launch from sucking in that cloud of fogging oil that gets burned off on your first start up.

Amen to this!!!! :thumb:

Everyone should do a shake down trip in the spring. This is to make sure everything is running good before the first fishing trip. On my first trip, I keep an careful eye on the oil pressure and temp gauges for both engines. I want to make sure the oil pressure, and temps are where they are suppose to be. I like to work through the throttle ranges to make sure there are no misses or coughs when increasing the throttle, or the boat dies when coming off throttle. After the motors are warmed up, I like to do a RUN(WOT) for a short while(5-10 minutes). After my WOT run, I slow down to trolling speed(2.5-2.7mph on gps) for 15 minutes. During my trolling speed check, I am watching the oil pressure and temp gauges. Oil pressure and water temps should be watched during the entire season!

Also.....check the expiration dates on your flares, and check your fire extinguisher. ;)

HOLY cow, Mike beat me to it.

Nothing worse than sitting at the launch and figuring out your problems.

Pisses you off, and DEFINATLEY pisses others off.

I've used my "buddy tow me back" card a few times, and I've repaid the favor.

We all do it, especially when we get excited and want to get on the open water.

Best to check it in the driveway before you go out.

Nothing worse than sitting at the launch and figuring out your problems.

Pisses you off' date=' and DEFINATLEY pisses others off.

Best to check it in the driveway before you go out.[/quote']

Amen.

Every new season, the boat comes out, the garden hose is hooked up, and the engine is started. I make sure it starts and runs well. Don't want to contribute to the "ramp rage" anymore than possible.:D