bad start to winter projects!!!

jimbobber

Well went out to the boat this past weekend to start my winter projests,new carpet,new seat bases,new horn,new searchlight,and bow light ect. when i got there Nick say's hey why is there a freeze plug laying on the floor? So i got to looking and apparently I had a leak in my bellow or the gasket between the outdrive and the bell houing and water froze in the shifter cable area:confused::mad: it poped out the freeze plug in the lower unit not allowing any damage there:thumb:but the bell housing has a nice 1" long crack in it!:eek::(:mad: soooooo I have to get a new bell housing (which i located today) and pull the drive and replace the bellows while im at it. This kinda sucks I also need to get a new top for the boat but this may take up that cash for now. I guess next fall i will pull the drive to make sure this never happens again! BOAT..........Break Out Another Thousand!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy:p:o:(

I did a search and found some info on repairing a bell housing. I actually found it by searching flywheel cover as that is what it is called in the marine world i just learned. Give Todd a call at Johnsons Surpreme Marine. If any one can fix it they can and i am going up there soon to check on my boat.

1-800-843-9630

http://www.johnsonssupreme.com/marine.htm

I found this in one article:

The bell housing only houses the flywheel, clutch pack (or torque converter ), and is what attaches the transmission/outdrive to the engine. It carries no fluids so it can't leak. So in most cases it can be welded on and repaired. Unless the crack is through a bolt hole.

Sorry Jim, That really sucks when something like that is found, I have mine winterized so when something like that is found.. ahhh it's covered under insurance and... the dealership. Again Sorry Keep pushing on Man..

Aaron, the bell housing at the outdrive where the exauhst bellows and shifter cable and bellow come out of the boat,the outdrive conects to it there is a water channel in it ,if the bellow leaks it can get water in it if it leaks thru the housing it would be just like a leak in the bellows.the bell housing connects to the gimble housing which has the gimble bearing in it. I think it could be welded but im not willing to chase the crack around and have to deal with it again,so i found a replacement at a reasonable price.Thanks for the info though.I have a guy that may be doing the dissasembly and reassemble work for me or I may do it my self not sure yet. jimmy