Planer mast

jgaul

Hey guys, I inherited a planer mast and boards. I mostly fish east side of lake mich. Is it worth trying to figure it out??? I have been using in-line boards with no issues. Just wondering if I even bother or just save it if I fish Erie or something??

Any word on when the small water temp probes will come on the market?

I switched from big boards to in-lines about 5 years ago and never looked back. It is personal preference. You may want to fish with someone who runs the big boards before you decide to mount the mast. You will either love them or hate them.:)

Jeff, I use my planer mast when fishing for walleye. I use my inlines for salmon. I can tell if I have a fish on with the mast but I cannot with the inlines. I don't have the flags for them.

Back your drags up a bit looser , it makes it real easy to hear when you have a fish on.

I mainly use my big boards for walleye and my inlines for salmon. The reasoning is that fishing for walleye all my gear is set the same distance back. If the fish are hitting at 70 back then all my rods are within ten feet of one another 65, 70, 75. With salmon i am fishing with different lengths of copper(75, 150, 300) and lead core(2, 3, 5, 10 colors). When you are fishing with everything the same distance back everything is at the same depth when a fish hits it rises in the water column and pulls back behind all the other rods. With different lengths your deepest always needs to be near the boat. to avoid tangles. this is where inlines prevail as you can reset the line you caught a fish on without having to reel in everthing attached to a big board. Now if you are running the same length copper you can run a couple on a big board and you dont have to pull the other line you just move it down towards the planer board and reset the line and feed it down tho where the one tou just moved was at.

I would sell the mast and use the money to buy flags for your inlines

That's a big 10-4. I pull 10 OR12s when crew and conditions permit. The thing with the flags If you are paying attention you may even see that short bite. Drop it back and wham. You can even see a bait stealing perch picking you clean. This stuff goes unnoticed with big boards and you may be fishing without any bait. The flags are not quite as important pulling cranks. The in-line boards with flags has increase my catch a ton. 10 boards and two lines over the side and you can zero in on a pattern in a hurry.