copper and lead core set up

propman

My question, How much copper line should you put on your reel to fish 90 to 100 ft down, same oueation for lead core , how much backing and the the best reel and rods for both. thanks Propmam HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS

Okuma 55 convector is also a decent reel. The shimano is better though but if on a budget then i would say the convector. 45 lb Copper dives deeper then lead by almost a 2 to 1 ratio.

300 ft 45 lb copper approx 80ft

300 ft lead core approx 40 ft

Decent rods Okuma is making a copper line rod about 40 bucks and they are decent rods.

As far as running copper it is very dependent on the speed you run..I look at it kinda like swinging a chain in a circle..the slower you spin it the lower it swings

Good point Don. If your targeting fish near the bottom, you likely will snag mussels on the bottom during an inside turn.

I agree with Ken and Aaron and the info they posted. I would also like to add that if you are running long copper lines you should use a heavier backing like 50#.

i use 50lb Power pro as backing on all my coppers and lead core. i also use a piece aboyt 20 ft of 40 lb test mono between my backer and my coper for attaching boards. The mono shows wear as super braids don't. This way you can cut out the bad section form board ussage and not take a chance of the braid breaking and loosing your gear. After a while if you keep clipping the board to the same sectio it wears out the line.