Copper to Mono tip

Nailer

Last year I lost a 300' 45# copper due to the copper breaking at the knot. The copper was quite new and broke, not the mono.

When I bought the 32# from Greg of Profishent Charters/BloodRun Tackle, he said it's a good idea when tying an Albright knot to add a 2" Haywire to the copper. The Haywire helps to distribute the load away from the knot.

I just got my copper reels back from Tuna Tom all fixed up with new drags. After redoing all the connections, I thought I would post a pic of what he was talking about.

_d2n9785.jpg

Edited by Nailer

We use the same twist, but tie to a SPRO ant swivel. When I twist I prefer to keep the main line copper straight and wrap the tag tightly around for a more compact knot. Another consideration is to limit your leader length to 30' or less. Any longer you will lose some depth.

i use the spro swivel with a haywire twist..then use a small piece of shrink tube over the haywire...fits nicely thru line guide on cv55..also switched to wide mouth line guide and fits even better...was concerned about haywire but the strength is far beyond the leader strength and also dont have line twist issues with the spro swivel as opposed to the albright

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to tie this knot? I've seen couple videos but the knot isn't clear because they tie it too far from the camera.

I'm tired of having a huge albright to pull through my guides. Is the swivel an issue or does it go right on through?

I had the same issue that Nailer had, losing a whole setup. Don't want that to happen again.

Does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to tie this knot? I've seen couple videos but the knot isn't clear because they tie it too far from the camera.

I'm tired of having a huge albright to pull through my guides. Is the swivel an issue or does it go right on through?

I had the same issue that Nailer had, losing a whole setup. Don't want that to happen again.

Click here for Albright Knot.

The Haywire is simply a twist around itself.

It's best to use a pole with big guides for copper. I read a piece where the small swivel is actually smaller than an Albright knot.

I tie an albright and then a dab of fishing line glue. The knot cant work loose as it is glued in place. As far as the twist unless you put shrink tube over it, it will catch on the guides, and fray up and is just a pain. I have tried that method and didn't personally like it to much. I also dont like putting heat that near my mono when using heat shrink. Knock on wood i have not lost a copper since i went to this method four years ago.

I tie an albright and then a dab of fishing line glue. The knot cant work loose as it is glued in place. As far as the twist unless you put shrink tube over it, it will catch on the guides, and fray up and is just a pain. I have tried that method and didn't personally like it to much. I also dont like putting heat that near my mono when using heat shrink. Knock on wood i have not lost a copper since i went to this method four years ago.

i always do the copper then the mono so no heat near the mono

Joel, When you talk about the twist and spro connection are you just feeding the line through swivel then twisting it, or is there another knot that I'm missing?

You put the copper thru abot an inch and a half and wrap it over itself about 5or6 times then a little shrink wrap if you want. (haywire twist)

Guys, I just redid my copper connections using the Spro swivel and shrink tube. I have to tell you, WOW! I am impressed. After struggling with my albright knot going through the reel guides last year, this is a welcome change. This went through the top of the guide with little to no sound. To all the guys that recommended this knot, THANK YOU!!!!

I can't wait to get back on the big pond!