When will the fishing start in the Manistee area

Trying to find out when the fishing starts,so I no when to bring my boat and camping trailer up. need leed time to get everthing set up and look over the area. I'll have to make two trips from So. IL. its 560mile one way. hope to spend most of the spring,summer and fall fishing. I will have some open sets and will welcome anyone who wants to go out and give me a few lessons on salmon fishing, there got to be a lot of guy that have a lot of knowledge and no the best fishin area. so if your interested give me a PM. Thanks a lot Propman

Richard, hopefully some of the guys that fish that are will chime in.

The fishing in Manistee should be good from the first of June through September.

This time of the year the boards tend to cool off. If you don't get the answer you hopping for now, keep asking.

It depends. If you go back and check the reports from last year you will see that there was some very good brown and steelie fishing in the Manistee area as early as April. I wouldn't be afraid to head up there as soon as it's warm enough to get the trailer set up. I know guys who slip there boats and start fishing up there as soon the ice is gone.

Aaron, I looked at Ludington, but could not find a campgrounds on the water with dockage, I not from around the area so I didn't have any luck. So thats why I'm in Manistee. Maybe you no of a campground and dockage in you area for 2012. Thanks for the come back, Ludington is a vary nice area and has a great lake front. Dick Logan

There are a bunch of good campgrounds around ludington and nice places to dock but they are not together. We used to dock and tamarack in town and the stay at kibby creek between ludington and pentwater. we had a permanant site there for about 20 years. It is about a 15 minute ride to the boat from the campgrounds. they have a fish cleaning station there with freezers to use for your fish till you leave. If you decide to have a permanant spot there they also have a small shed that you could put your own small freezer in if you wanted to. It is a very nice and clean campgrounds. it has been owned by the same family for as long as i can remember. nice thing about tamarack also is you dont have to go through town to get there. you can turn off before getting to town and take tha back way around and avoid traffic in town. The only reason we are not out of ludington as much now is because i live so close to holland now. Fishing is better up there and i still go up there to fish just not as much as when my dad had his boat docked there. The other nice thing about being in that are is if you get a strong blow and the fish go south you only have a few mile run down to pentwater. otherwise you are fishing the point all the time.

As for when the fishing starts we used to go up the weekend before easter to get the boat out of winter storage at Johnsons, and i used to fish browns off the rocks by city municiple marina and just kill the browns there while my dad worked on getting the boat ready to go into the water. There was always small boats in there after browns.

The other nice thing about ludington is having Johnsons Supremem Marine to deal with. They are great and reasonable. I have all my work done there. My dad used them from when i was a kid. THey will go out to your boat at the marina to do any work you need done. Also i have never had a problem with any work that they have done for my family and friends up there. As a matter of fact of the guys i know up there Johnsons is who everyone goes to.

You might consider Muskegon there are a couple of campgrounds on the lake and pretty good year round fishing with Muskegon lake as a backup if the weather blows you off the big lake. Pretty much can fish every day for the rest of your life here if you can put up with the weather.

If you are interested in Ludington check out Starport. We have stayed there before and it was very nice. You can't go wrong either Manistee or Ludington.

http://www.fishludingtonmich.com/

DUHHH! My best friends dad has had his boat there since i was 8 years old. I completely forgot about starport having the camping there. He has a 25' cherokee named connie j.

It is a decent marina. they are supposed to be redoing it from what Dave was telling me. Basically right across the road there is Buttersville beach and campground.

Paulywood when did you have your boat there?