Youth Waterfowl Weekend

Adam Bomb

Well, the weekend started by Dad and my Uncle taking out my cousin Will and his friend Ryan. They hunted a spot that looked to offer some fantastic pass shooting from the preliminary scouting. So, they hunted it and had a few birds come by, but not like they seen earlier. Ended the morning with 3 birds. Two wood ducks and a mallard...One of the wood ducks was Ryans first duck ever and wouldnt you know it, it had a band!

YouthHunt003.jpg

YouthHunt004.jpg

YouthHunt006.jpg

YouthHunt008.jpg

So, having only three birds in the bag we decided to hit a marsh in the PM. Dad and I took the boys. It was quite a walk, but turned out to be well worth it. Ended the evening with 5 more birds and woulda had 6 if not for one hitting and never coming back up. Extensive searching and we just couldnt find it. Had 4 wood ducks and a BW teal....Again, one of the woodies was banded and fortunately for Will, his first, he was the one who got it. So, for the day, 6 wood ducks, 1 BW Teal, a mallard and two bands. Not a bad day in my book!

YouthHunt014.jpg

YouthHunt009.jpg

YouthHunt013.jpg

So after having a good opening day the boys were stoked for day two. We hit another spot this morning. As we were setting up there were birds flushing out around us. Got set up and settled in and they started returning. Finally shooting time came and the birds didnt stop. Unfortunately the boys couldnt hit a bull in the ass at 5'. Id say they shot around 35 times between the two of them and ended the morning with 2 hen wood ducks. All these shots were in your face too. They shoulda had a limit of wood ducks and probably a full limit if they coulda hit the teal and black ducks that graced the spread. I even coaxed two geese within less than 15 yds and they wiffed on those!!! :bonk: :roflmao:

Heres the hunters after their buzz kill hunt.

YouthHunt-Day2002.jpg

After the morning hunt we dropped Ryan off as he had to help his Dad with a deer blind he'll be hunting out of for the youth deer hunt. So, Dad and I returned to the marsh with Will in the afternoon hoping he could get that bent barrel straitened out a bit. And, as it turns out he did pretty good. First three birds that came in he dusted. Missed another chip shot or he woulda ended up with 4 birds for the evening. Instead he got 2 woodies to round out his wood duck limit and a gw teal. Not a bad way to end the youth season. I havent got that pic loaded, but when i do ill get it posted.

• 1 month later...