Para Sail

Do these guys think that they own the lake or what? Last year I had the para sail boat come way too close to my salmon boat a couple of times and last Sunday it happened again. Last Sunday he came 30 feet off of my bow throwing a large wake. Apparently the entertainment was not good enough for his crew so he turned the boat around and did it again. I don't think any of the salmon fishermen mess with the para sail boat. We just fish and go about our business, I do not want to loose rods or equipment because of a careless boater with no consideration for others on the water. Does the harassment law apply here? I think that next time he gets that close to my boat I will take his picture and turn him in to the DNR.

I for sure would. If he's doing it to you he's probably doing it to other fisherman also. In my opinion it is harrassment. Throw some copper line with a big hook at the para sailer and drag his butt down into the water. Just kidding but it's frustrating when you get the leisure boaters cruising around you and they know damn well what your doing out there. Drives me crazy! We stay well away from other boaters while we're out there, why can't everyone have the same consideration?

Just so everyone knows at one time the para sail boat was over a mile away from where my boat was and I was travelling in a straight line N?S at about 2 mph. So this guy with a charter license has a boat going approximately 30 mph travels at least a mile out and cuts 30 feet in front of my boat. Not to mention harassment he is putting the fare paying customers at risk. If I were to accidently hit my throttle my tin can would cut his glass boat in half. Thirty feet does not leave much room for error.

Do these guys think that they own the lake or what? Last year I had the para sail boat come way too close to my salmon boat a couple of times and last Sunday it happened again. Last Sunday he came 30 feet off of my bow throwing a large wake. Apparently the entertainment was not good enough for his crew so he turned the boat around and did it again. I don't think any of the salmon fishermen mess with the para sail boat. We just fish and go about our business, I do not want to loose rods or equipment because of a careless boater with no consideration for others on the water. Does the harassment law apply here? I think that next time he gets that close to my boat I will take his picture and turn him in to the DNR.

I'm not sure about the federal laws which govern Lake Michigan, but in Wisconsin its 200 feet , if you are within 200 feet of another boat you are suppost to be at no wake speed. I have had many boats not pay attention to this . One in particular crossed my bow at about 30 feet at cruising speed, I did report this idiot to the Coast Guard. If a boater is being unsafe get a name or there number and call the coast guard. If it was an unsafe driver on the road would you call Law enforcement? This guy is putting himself and others at risk , he is responsible for damage caused by his wake, If it was me I would put a stop to it , get the name of the company and make a phone call. Ask them how much Insurance they have . You may have a salmon boat , but what about the guy that come out in his 16-18 foot boat . They don't stand a chance , probably get thrown from there boat. My wife and I were just about thrown from our last boat right in the opening to the marina. and this guy was 50ft from our boat. even had it on video.

After a couple of days of debating I did file a complaint against the guy with the Michigan DNR. He will be let off with a warning this time and the DNR officer was thankful that I turned him in. This was the fourth time in two years that he has tried to impress his customers by shaving my boat. As a fare paying customer I would not be impressed by his reckless operation of a charter boat. I am not impressed and I am sure when the DNR officer talks to him he will know how many laws he is breaking and how close he is coming to losing his charter. i don't have a target on my boat but now I am sure that he has a target on his boat. Under the Michigan hunter fisherman harassment laws he could have been issued a ticket just by my complaint.

I saw my wifes uncle last night and he was complaining that the para sail boat got him on Monday way too close. This is a man about 70 years old in a 16 foot small boat. Now I am happy that I turned him in to the Conservation Officer. I am beginning to wonder how some people get a charter license no offense to those of you who operate safely that do have charter licenses. This idiot needs to have his pulled.