New Buffalo 7/17 Dusk to Dawn

Cleared the pier heads at New Buffalo at 6am. Waves were 1-2 footers with an occasional bigger one. Ran out to 50ft and set lines on a West troll and went out to 70. Nothing for the first three hours. We heard people in Michigan City were getting some in 40-50 ft. so we headed in on a East troll to check it out. We got one good Coho at about 10:00 am on a braid dipsey on 2 out 70 with 8" DW MD Spindoctor and green fly. Trolled until 11:30 and decided to find some perch.

We drove around for quite a while in our search for perch. We marked a lot of big schools of alewives in 25-30ft of water. At our third stop we thought we finally found the the perch. Then my buddy hooked into a nice steelhead, which was a riot on the perch rod. We had the aqua view and put it down, tons and tons of alewives, so we moved again. We finally found the perch just south of the pier heads around 3:00 after taking a swim break for an hour or so. For the first hour and 3 different spots all we were catching were 5-8 inchers so we kept moving. The next spot was the difference. We proceeded to catch our 2 man limit of perch and finished about 7:00. We caught some real hogs at 13inches. We were getting a bite within 10 seconds of our line in the water every time.

My friend John with a nice perch.

dscn1936.jpg

At home with our limit on the fillet table. He wasn't excited to clean all those perch.

dscn1950.jpg

After we got our limit of perch we went for a quick swim and decided to troll for a few more steelhead/salmon since the lake was so flat. We started putting stuff down immediately leaving our perch spot. We had 3 lines down and before we even hit 30ft of water we caught a nice coho on the rigger down 20' with a double orange crush. Then we finally got five lines in the water and we caught a nice steelhead on a braid dipsey on 2 out 50' with a 8" DW green double crush glow spindoctor and green fly.

My buddy John and his steelhead.

dscn1944.jpg

After landing those two and getting all the lines in the water we were in 35ft of water so decided to head back in and fish right at 30ft. Once we got back to 30ft. on a N troll back towards the harbor the 3 color starts screaming with a superman spoon. Ended up landing a nice King.

Me with the King.

dscn1945.jpg

We ended up leaving the lake at 9:30pm with 2 steelhead, 2 coho, 1 king, and 70 perch. It was a long day as we watched the sunrise and the sunset on the lake.