Help

just got new downriggers for boat need some input what lures and setups are used aroud the saginaw augre area mostly fish walleye please be spacific new to all of this bigger lure fishing thanx taz

Tim, A warm welcome to the GLF site. You will like it here. I fish AuGres a touch more than my wife wants me to.:lol:

We seldom run riggers on the bay. Small 2-1/2 spoons and even harnesses will work. Problem with the riggers is most walleye will not release especially if the releases are tight to allow for rod loading. I may try some Blacks Releases on mine this year.

I most always run a spread of 10 Offshore In Line boards with the tattle flags, and two 3 oz B.B. with out boards. The riggers are an option especially when it gets rough. :)

Welcome abouard Tim.

Not allot of guys run riggers, but they do catch fish on them. Most run spoons, harnesses or body baits off them when they use them.

The more popular way to fish is with inline planer boards as Franks suggested in conjunction with flat lines or lines run horizontal off the corners of the boat with bottom bouncers off them. Commonly used presentations off inline boards or traditional planer boards are inline weights, bottom bouncers or snap weights with a harness trailing behind. Crankbaits are also a good options and baits like Hot N Tots, Reef Runners, Jr. Thundersticks, Shad Raps, Tail Dancers, Deep Husky Jerks. Early on in the season Shallow diving husky's, original raps, bombers and other shallow diving baits take fish.

Other options include jet divers, big jon mini disks or even the mini dipseys to deploy spoons and harness etc. And coming stronger and stronger onto the scene every year is lead core. It takes allot of fish. 1-3 colors will serve you well.

Ok, i think i got a bunch covered. I gotta get running, so if you have any questions dont be affraid to ask and ill get back at ya.

Good luck, have fun, its a terrific fishery.....Adam

I think AB pretty much covered it, you can take that to the bank! I do run 2 riggers for eyes on the bay, they do catch fish, no doubt, but not enough fish that I would use them solely! I've checked out some new DR releases that I'm going to get hooked up, Chamberlains, they look to be just what the Dr. ordered for light bitin' walleye. The problem with the riggers now is that is not easy to detect a bite, as walleye will get hooked and swim with the boat and you could drag a fish for a long while if you don't check, which is very unproductive. Good luck to ya, I fish out of Au Gres until the middle of July... give me a shout out there "husky jerk"....

I use my riggers on the bay primarely when the waves dont allow me to spread out my boards. When its rough I will usually run 30' leads with spoons and harness 5' off the bottom. If its calm increase your leads. And make sure your drags are set on your riggers just in case. And use the off shore ultra light releases.