spring lakers

Polar Bear

Ok ....I got a question ....Do the lakers bite in the spring after ice out like the do in the fall???

I had great success last fall using the JDF bait heads from O"ki with shinners , do I fish the same as I did in the fall ??? on the riggers 27-35 feet down and 7 colors out on lead core , I was banging as high as 50 a day with the average days catch of 15-20 at 7-11 pounds each???? I am really getting cabin feaver bad .....Mark

Ok ....I got a question ....Do the lakers bite in the spring after ice out like the do in the fall???

I had great success last fall using the JDF bait heads from O"ki with shinners , do I fish the same as I did in the fall ??? on the riggers 27-35 feet down and 7 colors out on lead core , I was banging as high as 50 a day with the average days catch of 15-20 at 7-11 pounds each???? I am really getting cabin feaver bad .....Mark

Mark, take a second and fill out your Public Profile, under User CP. (top left).

That will help us understand where your fishing. This should allow the guys that know your answer to help you.

Edited by Nailer

We Catch some lakers after ice out, along with walleye. The shallow waters after ice out are magical. Ya never know what may be on the end of your line. The bait fish are heavy in the shallows, and so are the brutes trying for an EZ meal.:) Love the Spring mixed bags. Check the regulations on Lake Trout. The season is closed here @ ice out time.

Laker fishing in the fall is easier because they spawn in the fall. That's why the season closes in Michigan in October. They are easy pickings. But they will still be aggressive in the spring. Lots of guys trolling Lake Michigan in tight for browns end up catching lakers.

Polar Bear,

I'm from the otherside of the pond. What to get across and try some of the great spots you have over there. I wish I had some helpfull info for you and well maybe it is. Anytime I hear someone talk about 50 hits and 15 - 20 boated, my mind just sceams "tighten your releases and sharpen your hooks". No offense intended!

Best of luck this year,

Rod

Polar Bear,

I'm from the otherside of the pond. What to get across and try some of the great spots you have over there. I wish I had some helpfull info for you and well maybe it is. Anytime I hear someone talk about 50 hits and 15 - 20 boated, my mind just sceams "tighten your releases and sharpen your hooks". No offense intended!

Best of luck this year,

Rod

not 50 hits ....boated as high as 50 a day with the average day being 15-20 fish in the 7-11 pound range, not big fish , but good quanity ...take a look at the pictures in the fish pics

50 a dayyou-rock.gif

My guess is the same presentation from the fall would work.

I was hoping somebody would say that

that 50 fish day only happened 1 time but I did have several over 30 fish days , I had 2 quads and a triple on the 50 fish day , I was giggleing like a little girl , I got alot of video , but it won't download

I was hoping somebody would say that

that 50 fish day only happened 1 time but I did have several over 30 fish days , I had 2 quads and a triple on the 50 fish day , I was giggleing like a little girl , I got alot of video , but it won't download

Load the video to YouTube. Than post it. There is a tutorial on how to Located here.

The lakers up here are not quite as consintrated in the spring as in the fall, but the spring fishery is pretty good, the fish are shallower. Thats one thing about Detour in the spring, when the rod go's off you just never know whats on the end of your line, Atlantic-LakeTrout- King. and the lakers fight pretty good also that time of year..

I was hoping you would be telling us how to catch fish (50 in a day) not asking us. I have caught loads of lakers I did not count off of a L Michigan shoreline during the fall run on cleos when I was targeting steelhead before.

I tried out these things called LAKER TAKERS that BIG WEENIE was selling , Paired them up with the JDF Baitheads and herring hung them off the riggers each side and drug 7 colors lead with just Chartreuse JDF bait heads and herring on the boards each side ..... worked like a dream ,doubles and triples constantly.......Lake Raystown in Central Pennsylvania .....BEST DAY OF TROLLING IN MY LIFE...DON'T GET ME WRONG IT DOESN'T HAPPEN LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME