Red Power Pro?

Has anyone ran the red power pro line? I have the itch to get out and am trying to get all my equipment ready. I know some of you guys like to run red mono on your rigger rods but havent heard anyone say much about the red PP. I am looking to get some 30# to spool up my dipsy rods and didn't give it much thought till I went to the store and seen three colors; green, yellow, and red. Have you guys really ever noticed a difference in catch rates vs. line color (dipsys or downriggers) or I am over thinking it. I use floro leaders so I wouldnt think the main line color would make much difference. Also is Power Pro better than fireline? I have always used fireline on my casting rods but it seems Power Pro is the 'gold standard' for great lakes trolling from what I have seen. Thanks for your help.

Has anyone ran the red power pro line? I have the itch to get out and am trying to get all my equipment ready. I know some of you guys like to run red mono on your rigger rods but havent heard anyone say much about the red PP. I am looking to get some 30# to spool up my dipsy rods and didn't give it much thought till I went to the store and seen three colors; green, yellow, and red. Have you guys really ever noticed a difference in catch rates vs. line color (dipsys or downriggers) or I am over thinking it. I use floro leaders so I wouldnt think the main line color would make much difference. Also is Power Pro better than fireline? I have always used fireline on my casting rods but it seems Power Pro is the 'gold standard' for great lakes trolling from what I have seen. Thanks for your help.

No red here.

I have had fused (fire line) break for no reason while pulling divers before.

After loosing 3 (or more) diver setups, diver poles got changed to braid.

Braided line seams to be the strongest and more durable for divers. 30 pound min. and 50 pound max is what most use.

I run 30# Power Pro on my divers. Never had any problems breaking anything off and i run allot of flashers and flies on my divers. I have the green power pro, but am definitely considering the red Power Pro when i respool just cause its easier to see. Would be a plus since i often run multiple divers on a side.

I know it takes more light to see red than other colors, but is saying that red disappears the correct representation of what happens in lower light applications. I would think that red colors would turn to shades of gray as light decreases. Perhaps shades of gray are less obtrusive to fish than visual colors. If anyone has some more info on this I would love to hear it.

I have used 50# red power pro in the past. I would go more hi vis for visual purpose but I have had trouble with braid. I have lost big fish in tournaments for a couple reasons with braid. The line buried itself in the spool and would not allow it to pay out with the drag and wammo busted line. I have seen this happen on 2 other boats so I am not alone. Early on I had the wrong knot tied and lost some expensive tackle. I have switched to wire and had much greater success. IMO

I take special care when spooling wire and or braid!

....On the first trip out, I attach a lead weight or spin-doctor and let all the line out, while at a fast troll.

....Then reel back in under good tension. This will set the line into the spool and prevent jamming.

....Another thing to watch out for is line guide alignment after a break-off. Make sure the guide lines up with where the braid or wire comes off the spool.

I use red power pro and like it. For big water trolling, it's 50 lb. red. For Lake St. Clair and shallow water it's 20 lb. green for bottom bouncing or jigging. I also have neon yellow mono for some applications.

If you troll at night and use red lighting, the red power pro will jump out at you as white in colour.

HIH

Great post Rayman96. You definitely gotta take some time and spool wire and braid tightly. Otherwise your in for it burring itself in the spool. I use a lead ball or a small dipsey to wind mine on. Works fantastic. IMO braid and wire are some of the most indestructable lines there is if use correctly. No problems with either that werent self/fish(crossing and cutting) induced.

• 3 weeks later...