Night fishing out of Muskegon

Guys several of my friends and I have discussed having a mid week fishing league type event. I am thinking fish from 6pm to 10pm weigh in at 11pm and be done. Nothing fancy just a few guys getting together and doing some fishing. I don't want this to be a tournament but if guys want to have a side bet or 2 I won't stop it I may even get in on a few. Since I don't see any sense in haveing a lot of rules that can't be enforced this is just a get together idea for those who night fish the Muskegon area. If this sounds like something you would like to do say something and lets see if there is any interest in doing this. I average 15 to 20 night trips a year and while the numbers are not always fantastic if you are on or near the fish at sundown the fireworks at sunset can be a blast. But the first step is to see what if any interest there is in doing this so let me know if you want to do it or not.

Sounds like a great idea Jim. Too bad it's too far of a drive for me.

Same for me, there are a few guys that live by you Jim I am sure will be in.

Randy maybe we can get a South Haven evening thing going...what do you say....

I am thinking we each start our own port group those who fish several ports can join several groups if we get them going. I have a couple of other friends that fish Port Sheldon and like to fish after work. This is not about having a serious contest it is about getting us guys together and get to know who each other are. Many of us have fished around each other for years and other than yelling at each other at the landing or on the radio have no contact with each other. Knowing who is fishing next to you can solve a lot of problems if you keep in contact before you run each others gear over a lot of hard feelings could be avoided. I know I for one have gotten to know a lot of the guys in the boats I see on the water all the time now and much is do to sites like this where we can chat.

Another option would be if there are several groups would be port challenges Muskegon VS Port Sheldon ARRR meet in front Grand Haven and prepare for war LOL. Or we come and invade your port or you invade ours this could be a lot of fun could try supprise invasions. I could see it now Port Sheldon invades Muskegon on the same night Muskegon invades Port Sheldon LOL.

Jim' date=' are you thinking a certain port, or can we go the entire lakeshore?

Might be interesting to get in on this if it is everywhere.

I'm down for the barley pop bets.[/quote']

Now there's an idea. Every one put in a 6 pack, and winner takes all:D

What am I gonna do with all that beer I don't drink much a 6 pack will last me several months. Honestly I really doubt I am going to fish a lot of ports this year so I am going to work on promoting the port I live in and fish out of most. I see no reason why others should not do the same. There is no reason to fish in a group of boats and not get to know some of the guys out there that like doing what you like doing. Many like me have met a lot of great guys here but for whatever reason we don't have a lot of meet and greet events. My goal for this year is to change some of that Dirty Dog has started the traveling port idea my idea is to have a group in place at every port so when he or his group shows up they have people to fish with. I like to fish in the evening You know well in advance what the weather is doing and the lake often calms down at sunset. It is easier to get reports in the afternoon then in the morning so finding the fish at night is much simpler. And if anyone knows a better deal than a great sunset with drags screaming all around you this is not the website you should hv clicked on LOL. I want to make Sunset and Salmon a summer theme. This is not designed to be a competition but a gathering of friends the purpose of a weigh in is so we can discuss what worked and what didn't BS a bit and bragg if you want. Groups can be a couple of boats or a hundred no specific rules DNR laws of course pick any night that works for your group. Let people know when and where your group meets and fishes so some of us can invade your group. At the moment I have a group of 1 out of Muskegon with no set fishing dates but I am hopfull this will grow. Perhaps Mark or one of the other guys who fish Port Sheldon will get a group going as well and keep in mind I also fish Port Sheldon with some friends so could show up at a meeting or 2 down there. Again for those who are not afraid of the dark think Sunset and Salmon this year.