Kicker motors

Vitalidle

It would save a lot of gas over my 350 Chevy that's for sure!

I agree!!! On a typical fishing weekend I will burn through 50 gallons of fuel trolling. Even if I cut that in half and I know it will probobly be 2/3rds thats extra money in my pocket. Also trolling with a i/o is hard on the drive shaft and coupler. Believe it or not but higher rpms is better then a slow troll. This adds to having to pull the lower unit and grease the splines on the shaft more often and check the alignment. I will usually do this twice a summer vs once. Also with all the extra hrs it puts on the motor it sure would be nice to put those hours on the kicker.

you will save gas for sure ..but keep in mind(at least for me)most of my fuel is burned driving thru muskegon lake and a couple miles(at least)out on the big lake and back...i dont know if you will pay for the kicker with saved gas in the first year or so..but sooner or later you will...theres been lots of times...especially with larger waves im burning more fuel cus im running both motors...my main motor for steering and main power and my kicker for speed adjustments...my main motor is either trolling too fast or too slow..its touchy..but in my opinion a kicker motor is worth the investment

Yeah my decision isn't soley based on saving fuel, but certainly is a part of it. To me the biggest reason is safety. Here in the U.P. we don't have the boating traffic you all have in the L.P. Here if you run into trouble it could be a long wait on the big water before help arrives. I would like to start running out to the big reef to fish lakers and its 20 plus mile run one way. It sure would be nice knowing you have an option if the main engine doesn't want to run.

Yeah my decision isn't soley based on saving fuel, but certainly is a part of it. To me the biggest reason is safety. Here in the U.P. we don't have the boating traffic you all have in the L.P. Here if you run into trouble it could be a long wait on the big water before help arrives. I would like to start running out to the big reef to fish lakers and its 20 plus mile run one way. It sure would be nice knowing you have an option if the main engine doesn't want to run.

absolutely right...that has also been a concern of mine...barring running out of gas it is a nice "feel good" accessory:)

That's the one thing about Erie's central basin. There is always a good amount of traffic.

My previous rig had an inline 6, merc tower of power, 115 hp. two-stroke. I swear that rig burned fuel trailering down the road. It was very dependable though.

I've gotten away from the low rpm by deploying sea anchors.

When fish are close, no need for a kicker. As the season progresses, distance to the fishing can be anywhere from 13 to 17 miles one way. At those distances, safety comes into play as well as fuel economy.

Peck

You have seen first hand what that honda 9.9 has done for fuel mileage and the piece of mind on my rig. Remember why i chose the honda....the charging power at closed throttle was higher than any other manufacturer of that years model. Power tilt & electric start up the output as well.

Peck

You have seen first hand what that honda 9.9 has done for fuel mileage and the piece of mind on my rig. Remember why i chose the honda....the charging power at closed throttle was higher than any other manufacturer of that years model. Power tilt & electric start up the output as well.

Yeah your a big reason why Im considering this. I got to see first hand how well it works!! I have been doing some checking and the Honda and Suzuki both are 12 amp output the rest of them are 6 amp. I just wish the Honda came in blue! lol. I need to talk with you some before I make any purchases:D

i got electric start on my honda..its almost ridiculous to just bump the button and it starts:lol:

I might really be a fan of honda's now. Ouch just got a quote from a local shop for a suzuki! PRICE ON 2010 SUZUKI 9.9 HP TILLER 20" TILT , WITH TAX $3710. 25" $3760 I didn't pay much more then that for my etec 40 3 years ago. I think it was under 5 g's. Bromley didn't you pay like $2600 for yours?

If I remember right it was a bit over 2700 for a 08 model electric start and power tilt

I thought that was about ballpark. That makes the quote I received a bit out of line I think. I didn't realize it but watsons marine the guy I bought the polar craft from sells honda.

Yup I am toying with the idea of mounting my kicker this spring, but looking to possibly upgrade to power everything, just a little worried what the price tag will be

Yeah thats gonna hurt some!lol.

Here is a question for you all. If you have a autopilot like the ap14r and you link you kicker and i/o with somthing like ez steer linkage.....does the autopilot still work in this setup with the main engine shut down and no power steering with an i/o?

Well after some searching on various message boards it appears with an i/o application the autopilot won't work without the engine running. So it looks like my only option to control a kicker motor by autopilot is the TR1 gold. Of course the price tag is higher then the AP14R. I won't have autopilot with my main engine, but I guess I can live with that since I probobly would be using it only while fishing. Man nothing is easy and straight forward:(