Fishing Lights Setup

Couple years ago i setup some lights for those early morning and late nites on the water. Since I don't have an arch or hardtop I improvised. Its nice to have lights up high and out of the way to light up the back of the boat and off the sides for setting divers up. This setup uses a RAM mount originally designed for a gps handlebar mount. The lights are a $20 Autozone special. I can point them anywhere I want if I need light there. When I dont need them I pop them off and ony have alittle rubber ball on the bimini. I ran my wires through the slits for the poles in the top and makes for a nice clean installation. I have also put reflectors on my planers and you can pick up the planers if the waves are nice n calm.

10-10-09_1514.jpg

10-10-09_1515.jpg

Very nice, i did something similar. I made my mounts outta some nylon i had lying around. I basically just made a rail mount and then drilled and tapped it to bolt the light on as well as attach it to the Bimini. I ran all the wire through the tube as well. Works good, i do the same thing with the planer boards too. Great minds think alike eh?...lol

Cool I am putting a set of LED spreader lights on my boat this winter. I have a set of 55watt halogens right now but they kill the battery when trolling so going to try some LED lights about the same light but only .6 amp draw ea versus 4.3 amps ea.

LEDS would be a nice touch. I originally wanted LEDS but could not find the ones I wanted 8 o'clock on a friday night before going fishing the next morning. I just havent had the need to upgrade yet.

I have a cheap set of fog lights I purchased from walmart and attached them to clamps.

lights.jpg

MADE IN CHINA! I had to replace two of the lights already. :mad:

For those of you who are wanting to add lights to your boat, you want to make sure you get flood lights instead of spot lights.

I have a cheap set of fog lights I purchased from walmart and attached them to clamps.

lights.jpg

MADE IN CHINA! I had to replace two of the lights already. :mad:

For those of you who are wanting to add lights to your boat, you want to make sure you get flood lights instead of spot lights.

i have also went thru the exact same ones...1 lasted 3 trips and went out...and you cant replace the bulbs...throw aways...so im on the hunt for different ones

then there is this one if you want light you got it.

https://www.foxfury.com/products/detail.php?id=132

granted a little pricey and requires a generator to run but hey it is bright LOL.

The neat thing I am finding out is Lumens vs Candle power there is no conversion between the 2 and either can make a huge difference as can how and where they are measured at. What I am getting so far is like this if a light produces 1 candlepower at 1ft across a 1sqft surface it is also 1 Lumen now focus it to 1 sqin and it is still 1 lumen but now 144cp. Candlepower can be measured at any size spot and distance lumens refer to the total light output with no regard for distance or focus of the beam. And hopefully the downward trend in LED pricing continues as more companies build them 6 months ago I could not find any 500 or more lumen water proof work lights under 150 ea now there are several under 100 ea. Getting power consumption down is the difference between a great night fish and wondering why it is getting darker all the time.

then there is this one if you want light you got it.

https://www.foxfury.com/products/detail.php?id=132

granted a little pricey and requires a generator to run but hey it is bright LOL.

The neat thing I am finding out is Lumens vs Candle power there is no conversion between the 2 and either can make a huge difference as can how and where they are measured at. What I am getting so far is like this if a light produces 1 candlepower at 1ft across a 1sqft surface it is also 1 Lumen now focus it to 1 sqin and it is still 1 lumen but now 144cp. Candlepower can be measured at any size spot and distance lumens refer to the total light output with no regard for distance or focus of the beam. And hopefully the downward trend in LED pricing continues as more companies build them 6 months ago I could not find any 500 or more lumen water proof work lights under 150 ea now there are several under 100 ea. Getting power consumption down is the difference between a great night fish and wondering why it is getting darker all the time.

you wouldnt want to ride behind me with that bad boy jim...probably start youre boat on fire:grin:

I have the info at work but I beleive these are the lights I am getting.

http://www.soundoffsignal.com/work_lights/wl_par36_500.html

I looked at a lot of them and found several I really like but the 150 and up price ea was killing me one of our suppliers gave me a price on these that is more realistic so my plan is to install a set this winter.

I know a few people that work at sound off.....I might be able to get something custom, I forgot about that thanks.

I bought a pair of 55 watt halogens floods from Boaters World a few years ago. The bulbs are standard and they light it up well. The cost was under $40 for the pair. They do draw the current, but I haven't had any issues. I have mine mounted on the rocket launcher on my hardtop. My rocket launcher is made to pivot down to clear the garage door header. My Anchor light is also mounted on the rocket launcher. I switch the 55 watt halogens off except when fighting a fish or setting up. The anchor light, along with some courtesy lights on my transom bar, help to light the back up also.:)

• 6 months later...

Well I got the Sound off signal lights now just got to mount them on the boat this weekend and see how they work. So far the advantage to me looks like nearly double the light for less than 1/2 the amp draw as both of these draw less than one of my halogens and they are bright. Wish I had a rocket launcher to mount them on but will fab something up and mount them on the bimini for now. Will put up some pics when done.