License Money

steeliebob

I spent $45 on deer licenses this year, yes I shot and recovered a nice deer. I often wonder how much of that money actually goes to deer management. I quit duck hunting because you never know what to shoot and what not to shoot, what is in season and what is out of season. I do know that if I lived in one of many SW states I would not have to worry about anything just keep shooting. I buy a fishing license every year and the DNR plants 10000 fish in the river that I fish. When I check on the computer the rivers in SW Michigan get millions of fish planted. Why not spread the wealth and send some of the hatchery trucks to the UP. My river got 10000 fish last year bring 500000 this year and plant the 10000 in the St Joe river. I have been bugging the DNR for brown trout for years but they won't plant them up here. I know that a portion of license money goes to support and manage non game species. I assume cougars and wolves are on the non game species list. The DNR should collect money from the Audobon Society, Peta, the Sierra Club, Defenders of Wildlife, and so on to support the non game species. Over the years I have been tempted to not buy licenses because like taxes you never get a say in how the money is spent. I recently read the Michigan DNR Wolf Management Plan that really ticked me off to know that my license money is going for that. If you deer hunt in the UP do yourself a favor and do not read this. I was however entertained by the part that said wolves are good for Michigan because they kill deer and the remains of the kill feed crows. Another clip said wolves are good for Michigan because tourists can photograph them. Need I say more. Is the DNR really that stupid, it is the deer that pay your wages not wolves and crows. I guess that I will keep buying licenses so that the DNR can keep wasting my money.

I believe the dnr is doing the best they can. There are numerous other issues they are trying to deal with also, like trying to save our 9 billion dollar fishing industry. ie...big head carp, silver heads. Their hands are tied when it comes to the wolves. Maybe Obama will "change" the status of them.

Nice reply Mike, I do believe that the DNR at times can do a good job. I do however believe that the DNR should take a poll of hunters to see if license money should go to support the wolf program. If it is turned down then they should get their money from special interest groups or the federal government. I also believe that the DNR needs to spread their fish planting around a little bit. I cannot believe how many fish get planted in SW Michigan as compared to the rest of the state. Come on Mackinac County has 160 miles of shoreline and they act like they did us a favor when they plant 30,000 steelhead up here. I have been trying to get the DNR to plant more fish up here for the last 15 years. The DNR has Atlantic Salmon now and I can guess where they will be planted. It will not be in the UP.

I'm pretty sure that the Atlantic's are targeted for northern Lake Huron. Since they don't die after spawning like the Pacific salmon they intend to use them in Huron. That could help you. I'm pretty sure that the size of the rivers and natural reproduction plays a part in the decision on where plants are made. I'm not sure about the St. Joe but I know the Grand, Muskegon and Manistee have very succesful natural reproduction with kings and I know all 3 plus the St. Joe have the same for steelies. All in all I have few complaints with the DNR personally. I have bought deer licenses every year for the last 16 years but have only shot 4 deer in my life, and they were in the last 3 years. But I more than get my money's worth in fishing license fees. I would even be willing to pay more for a fishing license if the money was used for stocking salmon and trout. I'm no biologist but I am sure there are ecological reasons for the plantings and numbers in different ports. I have dealt with a few of the DNR biologists over the years and they have been very helpful. Either way, good luck ice fishing this year.

Nick

I'm pretty sure that the Atlantic's are targeted for northern Lake Huron. Since they don't die after spawning like the Pacific salmon they intend to use them in Huron. That could help you. I'm pretty sure that the size of the rivers and natural reproduction plays a part in the decision on where plants are made. I'm not sure about the St. Joe but I know the Grand, Muskegon and Manistee have very succesful natural reproduction with kings and I know all 3 plus the St. Joe have the same for steelies. All in all I have few complaints with the DNR personally. I have bought deer licenses every year for the last 16 years but have only shot 4 deer in my life, and they were in the last 3 years. But I more than get my money's worth in fishing license fees. I would even be willing to pay more for a fishing license if the money was used for stocking salmon and trout. I'm no biologist but I am sure there are ecological reasons for the plantings and numbers in different ports. I have dealt with a few of the DNR biologists over the years and they have been very helpful. Either way, good luck ice fishing this year.

Nick

Very well said Nick.

i cant bash the dnr either i would be speaking out of ignorance...i suppose i should study up more ..all i know is there arent many times i come home without fish and the size are getting better(salmon)i shot a deer this year so i guess i cant complain...i also would pay more for a liscence considering what we get in return.everyone has varying opinions on everything but i dont think the dnr is out to cripple nature

The real reason the DNR does not plant more fish in the Eastern UP is because of the commercial fishing. The tribal fishermen catch very few steelhead because they target whitefish. Believe me the tribal fishermen do not want to catch steelhead in their nets and very few are ever caught in tribal nets.

The real reason the DNR does not plant more fish in the Eastern UP is because of the commercial fishing. The tribal fishermen catch very few steelhead because they target whitefish. Believe me the tribal fishermen do not want to catch steelhead in their nets and very few are ever caught in tribal nets.

We had been taking an annual trip to the UP every fall to chase some kings in the rivers. There is a river east of the bridge that is very small and has loads of fish returning every year. Evidenced by 3 straight years of the mass grave on the banks of this small trib. The trib goes into Lake Huron in a spot where it is somewhat like a small little bay, if you will. Didn't notice this the 1st 2 times up there, but the 3rd time we saw a string of buoys stretched from one side of this "little bay" to the other. I was generally disturbed about what I saw, being that this was a river where fish come to spawn. Called and talked with the DNR about what we saw, and didn't really think that it was ethical, regardless of what those nets were targeting, to allow netting such as we saw. You could think of it like this, stringing nets from one side to the other at the mouth of the big man. Followed up a few times with the DNR to see what conclusions they had come to, and the same answer, we'll call you we still don't have an answer. I think that the DNR does a lot right, but also do some stuff not so right. I think their intentions are good, but sometimes the outcome is detrimental and has adverse effects on other wildlife / species of fish. I have thought for a while that it would be wise to arrange a diverse group associated with each region of the great lakes to help make decisions on where we are trying to go with our fisheries, or hunting. They may have the book smarts, but I would not turn away input from a group of fishermen that have 1st hand knowledge of what is going on with the fishery in each region. It would be like a counsel of advisers who have the fisheries future in their best interest. To think that one agency can always make the right/best decision for our sport is foolish to think, especially when they have a limited supply of resources including money, which I think is one of the biggest problems. I think we could all agree that if there was a little extra we could all pitch in to benefit whichever specific fishery we enjoy the most that we would do it. But to blindly give extra money to the DNR knowing that it probably won't be put toward it's intended use.

Jason, I know exactly where you were fishing. The bouys are a subsistance net and the fish that they target are salmon. Do not get upset at the tribal fishermen the tribe plants loads of fish in the UP every year. We would not have a salmon fishery anymore if it was not for the tribe. If you go across the road from where you were fishing that is a tribal fish hatchery. They raise millions of walleye and salmon every year. I does not look like much but I give them a lot of credit. If we had to depend on the DNR to plant fish up here I would give up fishing so would lots of other people.

Not upset with the tribal fishermen, it just seemed to be very counterproductive from the standpoint of a sportsmen. They commercially harvest them, and I guess as long as they are stocking them with their own money then I don't care. But I do think my point was to basically regionallize the great lakes and have a board for each region that would be able to make better decisions then a blanketed decision that is only good in one area as opposed to all of the great lakes.

You want to catch salmon in the St Ignace area just get in touch with me. You need a local to show you what to do and where to go. Up here you can catch lots of fish or few fish depending alot on weather. I do know where to go and what to use. Most people from the LP don't use the proper timing, location, or gear. After 20 years of fishing in the UP I have figured things out. Catching steelhead or salmon up here is pretty easy now. I do have some rather odd ways I rig my lures or baits and my wife doesn't know wether I am coming or going as I fish all kinds of odd hours.

Appreciate the offer, we opted to fish out of the boat on Lake Michigan this year instead of hamerring the rivers in the UP for out trip. We have always found fish in the UP and in good numbers. However, next time we make plans to come that way I will make sure to get a hold of ya. Sounds like a trip over the winter to get some through the ice maybe in order.....

• 3 weeks later...

I am headed out this weekend and pretty much every weekend throughout the winter to fish for steelhead. I am in St Ignace so it is a pretty good location to start from. I have good steelhead spots in all directions from me. If you get up this way let me know and I will get you out on the ice or the water.

Nick

I agree and well said Nick