Downriggers & walleyes in the bay

Quite curious. Spent a lot of time on the bay this season and always observe the other boats near and afar. One thing I have noticed is only an occasional angler utilizes downriggers in the bay. Big boards and in-line planers seem to be the norm.

I most always have the riggers set when trolling especially with small spoons, or shallow runners that I like and want to get down to the fish. Sometimes I run a three way rig off the rigger set up with a diver and a spoon then run the ball down say 10 foot and let the lure dive deeper. I have had great success running them as a compliment to running the big boards.

How about your pros and cons??

99% of the time I'm fishing the inner bay and only in waters 19 feet or less. When I bought my Grady White 14 years ago, the last owner told me he'd throw in all 4 electric downriggers for $100.00 each. I told him to take them off, they'd just get in my way. Downriggers in essence are not neccessary to get the bait offerings in the walleyes zone in that shallow of water. Most guys using them have them mounted for salmon fishing and seldom take them off. So why not utilize them when and if you can.;)

TW, I have 4 riggers mounted on the boat. I take the middle 2 off and utilize the DRs on each corner. I don't get too crazy with them, but I do send them right down to the bottom. 1-5' off the bottom. It is definitely an easy way to deploy 2 more rods and be right on the bottom. Usually spoons, long leads off the balls 50-100'. Every time I use my riggers I will catch walleye with them. DRs don't seem to produce near as many fish for me as the Jet Divers & Leadcore that I use, but they do produce fish. I can't really list any cons as for using 2 DRs to walleye fish with. But, with that being said, for me it would not make sense to put my other 2 DRs on the boat and use them for walleye, because the DRs just haven't proven to bear near as productive as leadcore and jet divers. I have heard from enough people, I can't believe you catch walleye on DRs, but when I ask why they can't give me a good answer. There is a lot of different ways to catch walleye and I'm going to try every way I can to make fishing that much better.....

Yea, I remember reading that thread Frank. It is amazing just how much stuff we can put in the water at one time. Running my big boards I like to limit the lines to 4 on each side, good surf conditions. Most of the time I will only run my outside riggers, as they are on swivel mounts I can easily move them out of the way. Obviously the big disadvantage running the big board is the distance I put them out. With a lot of boat traffic I try to keep it shorter for increased turning. Seems there is always someone traveling out of sync with the pack that causes a need for quick turning. With the driggers, quick turns are no problem and I can get back on a school in a hurry. I also run the small 4 lb balls when fishing them in the 20' or less range with rubber band release. So if I get a small hanger on I can usually see the rod bounce.

that has been the only CON for DRs, is the release. I am still looking for something that is ultra sensitive. I am looking for something that would release when something very light took the bait, but still stout enough to keep the line from slipping out. I've done it with the rubberbands, and IMO that is the best so far, as it is easier to notice a fish on. Some times it will release, especially when an eye whacks it good, but if not you need to have a good eye and know what to look for, a slight change in the rod....IS IT SPRING YET?`

Jason,

I use the thinnest rubber bands I can get, half hitch it to the line. Pull tight then snap band in two. I use the miniature wooden clothes pin that I drilled a hole in then hang off a shower curtain hook. Seems the mini pins are a lot weaker so will release easy. Then I stick one end of the rubber in the pin. I have found that a short clip to the line allows for a quick release whereas if you use a longer rubber band it will give you more of a tattletale if it doesn't release it. I also use this style off my big board. Seems to work the best for me.

that has been the only CON for DRs, is the release. I am still looking for something that is ultra sensitive. I am looking for something that would release when something very light took the bait, but still stout enough to keep the line from slipping out. I've done it with the rubberbands, and IMO that is the best so far, as it is easier to notice a fish on. Some times it will release, especially when an eye whacks it good, but if not you need to have a good eye and know what to look for, a slight change in the rod....IS IT SPRING YET?`

I believe this release will work for you . release