Night Trolling - How Many Lines???

GLF

We keep it to 6 rods and troll with inline planer boards. We have reflector tape on our boards and the L.E.D. head lamps are enough to keep them illuminated. I also like to keep the drags just loose enough so that if a fish hits it can slip. Used to run amber colored lenses on the big boat too. That way you had light, but it wasnt super bright light. Caught allot of fish that way too...We had some secondary Halogen lights for when we need to see. Nothing better than seeing those glowing eyes coming into the net!

A few years back we fished at night for walleye. We used the Offshore Flag lights. My night vision is not as good as it used to be. Night fishing called for a small crew (2), and two rods per person. With only four boards out, you can put a lot of space between them. We only trolled in close at night, so lines over the side were seldom run. The outer boards were run out only as far as good visibility permitted. It takes good fishermen, that have fished together, and work well as a team. It's a lot different at night, and even familiar areas appear differently. The fishing can be good, but the low light conditions do make it tougher.

There are two different answers for your question. And they both have been applied here. Adam and Frank are spot on when trolling big water. Ken on the other hand is talking inland lakes, and he is also spot on.

This can be the results... We kept 7 walleye and 1 pike. Put back a 8 lb 8 oz eye for another day. This pic is the fish in my salmon cooler....

IMG_0325.jpg