rigger reel line

i have switch all my rigger reels from all mono to braid and with 80ft florcarbon. this in my mind gave me better hook ups and i thought that the line would slip threw the rubber band but it has held up very good for me. i get better hook ups when fishing 100+ down. i thought i would here what your guys take on it was. but i HATE mono i dont think i have any mono on reels besides the first 30ft so the supper line wont slip on the reel and casue (super line disease) from the guy tuna reel repair

Several years ago I tied fire line on my rigger rods. Now first I have to say I did not use any mono backer, but don't think that was my problem... But I found that if my swivel locked up the fire line balled up and when I retieved my rigger teh fire line literally came apart in my fingers. blame it on the swivel..yea I'm sure part of it was that, but I stripped it off and went back to mono. Better line technology now and maybe better swivels, I may try it again to help with teh blowback and strech issues. just something to keep in mind.

There are several good choices when it comes to the super braids. They sure do have their place, in so many applications. One place braids do not belong is on a downrigger rod. The reason being is the no stretch factor and release issues. I just can't see any reason to switch from mono to braid on rigger rods. I'm sure others will disagree, and will have their reasons. JMHO:)

I use braid for divers and flat-lines in that order. I also like braid for vertical jigging for walleye and smallmouth bass.

When it comes to riggers then I use mono exclusively.

This is my preference and you may choose otherwise!

Matt, You may have have a point on the deep sets. I don't fish Salmon in mid Summer. About the deepest I ever send a rigger is 100-110 feet. I do feel when a fish can't pop a release, it's a blessing if it does get off. We have all boxed dead shakers that we wished would have lived. This is a good thread and it should bring some more input.:) Tight lines my friend.:)

Matt, could it be that your rods are too soft for that depth?

I have a pair of old rigger stix that no longer have the backbone to fish that deep.

Quality lines have less stretch to deal with. I like Trilene Big Game and Ande when it comes to mono. I'm sure there are others that will work as well.

The rubber band needs to be well secured to the line or the mono will slide through.

Hope that some of this helps.

personally mono is my favorite line it is more forgiving most of the fish lost on my boats over the years have been on braid and wire lines. I have ran my riggers down over 200 ft and had no issues with mono. I do think you need to match your line to your application and have found some setups like a certain line better than others but I take a lot of friends and family out every year who don't always know how to handle the gear and mono is much smoother and more forgiving on mistakes. yep there are times it does not trip well when down deep but if the fish is that small who cares I just hit the up switch on the rigger and bring it up till it will release. I have had releases fail or get tangled and still not lost the fish as the mono would stretch and let the fish fight against the cannon ball.

More important, if your losing fish from your riggers is, the releases. a high quality release like the Blacks type allows more tension on the rigger rod. Allowing for better hookups.

I like the mono on my riggers.

i also like mono for rigger rods , i run 15lb maxima on all my rigger rods and even use it for leaders on my cores from time to time,i use walker releases on my riggers

also ive heard of useing braid for a deep rigger , but i see no need for it even with big paddles becouse ive lost very few fish doing this, but this is only my 2 cents and if braid works for you dont change , just keep catching fish.:)

i have never run braid for riggers.i prefer 20#cajun red line with a 30 ft floro leader.the cajun line is tuff and you can see the red line,helps a lot when weaving lines in and out of each other.i use my rigger rods for crank baits and stick baits in the early spring and late fall.

Get yourself some rigger rods by okuma ( I think one person mentioned the rods might be the issue ). Then, get yourself some GOOD mono. High quality mono makes all the difference. It is the same as saying - I drive a car vs I drive a vette. If you have low quality mono you will not be happy. I had 18lb kings go around my rigger wire this year and not lost the fish with good mono. This happened at least 4 times (lots of rookies on the boat this year). I think the other things is what Ken is mentioning and is on another recent post. The releases make a big difference.

I do see where you may want to run different setups deeper than 150. However, I don't spend much time out there. You must be fishing lakers. HA. Just kidding.