Posin Ivy

Ok folks let's here some home remedies to get rid of the stuff. The last few times I have had to go to the doctor to get rid of it, there must be a way to kill the stuff. I have it on both arms, legs and face, down right miserable. Put bleach on my arms and les, stung like heck and don't look like it's clearing up any.

Ok folks let's here some home remedies to get rid of the stuff. The last few times I have had to go to the doctor to get rid of it, there must be a way to kill the stuff. I have it on both arms, legs and face, down right miserable. Put bleach on my arms and les, stung like heck and don't look like it's clearing up any.

Told ya to stay out of that stuff... Shoulda listened to me.

I used Ivy-Dry and calamine lotion, but I may not be as sensative to it as you. :cpox:

* GLF knocks on a piece of wood.

I have been in it many times, but never got it. It is in the woods all around my house. I have two smal boys and have been debating on going after it with some Brush-B-Gone.

Hope you find the cure.

As soon as you think you've come into contact with it, wash with alcohol. Rubbing type not the 90 proof stuff. Hands first then swab your skin with a wet cotton ball. (put out the smoke first!) If you have breaking sores then wash around it to keep it from spreading, not directly on the open sore. (It'll sting like He[[)

A doctor told me that in about 15 minutes I had it in my blood system. Washing clothes will not remove all of it. Sap is not soluable so it'll just put it on other clothes or leave residue in washer. Wash the clothes/gloves/towels but don't wear/use them again for about 3 weeks. There used to be a product called Tech-nu that worked great but I don't know if it's available anymore. It had a high alcohol contect.

DON'T take a soaking hot bath!!! (unless you want it to spread like wildfire)

The plants are a bear to kill and require many sprayings. (I used to be highly alergic to it and have learned to avoid it, but I can still smell it) And yes you can get it in the middle of a January snow storm if you touch the plant. I already tried that.

GLF - Don't cut & Burn the plants unless you want to give it to all your neighbors. The smoke will carry the pollen/sap for miles. Check the label of any spray. Only the strongest will work on this stuff.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

p.s don't put alcohol in washing machine!!! Heard that some "brilliant hillbilly" washed his clothes with a gasoline mixture in his washer a few weeks ago. At least that's what he told the firemen and insurance adjuster. I'm sure rubbing alcohol could do the same.

Steve,

So sorry to here you got the itch! I have no cure as I never had the stuff.

You just need to be sure it is gone by the 15th. We have an issue of getting back in first place! Hope to see you then......itch free!

Rick

Rick

I will be there the 15th, no posin ivy is going to stop me from fishin. If it don't start clearing up in the next couple days I will give the doc a call, he has treated me for so many times he don't even have me come into the office, he just phones in a couple perscriptions and they do the trick.

GLF - Don't cut & Burn the plants unless you want to give it to all your neighbors. The smoke will carry the pollen/sap for miles. Check the label of any spray. Only the strongest will work on this stuff.

I would not do that to my neighbors. ;)

It would take me a LOOOnnnnggggggg......time to kill all of it around here :( Maybe I will start in the spring before everything is grown up around here.

For sure don't burn it, I have gotten it once because I drove through the smoke of someone burning it and I didn't know it till the rash started. Doctor told me several years ago that I should come into the office in the spring and he could give me a shot so I woldn't catch it and I always manage to forget.

LongLine you are right about not touching the stuff in the winter. One winter I decided to cut wood to help some freinds out. Well there was a big ash tree in the fence row with posion ivy vines all over it, I figured it was dead being it was the middle of winter and boy was I wrong. I cut through it several times without a problem but that night I woke up with my eyes swelled shut and I had the stuff everywhere. The doctor asked me how I got it and got a good laugh cuz he knew I was in bad shape and asked me if I learned a leason.

GLF I am not sure you can kill the stuff, it seems to survive no matter what ya spray on it.

Put some K-Y Jelly on it, the warmer sensation makes it feel better. LOL :D

Just don't bring it with you if you are going to fish with me,

Have you been taking Walt out fishing again Caz?

Have you been taking Walt out fishing again Caz?

Not sure who Walt is but I figured Super J Plug must be fishin with Rich:D :D

Well I finally gave up and called the doctor's office today, they phoned in something to kill the stuff and stop the iching I hope.

Steve

Here is a link that Val gave me and good luck.

http://www.rd.com/extraordinaryuses/openContent.do?contentId=24522

Larry

Thanks for the link Larry. If I get into it again I have something new to try. Ended up calling the doctor yesterday, it was spreading like crazy. Had it on both arms, neck,face, legs. Just down right miserable and nothing was working. He gave me a scrip for some type of steroid, took the first three yesterday and can already tell the differents.Maybe next year I will remember to go get a shot in the spring to avoid the mess.:mad::D

Not sure who Walt is but I figured Super J Plug must be fishin with Rich:D :D

Well I finally gave up and called the doctor's office today, they phoned in something to kill the stuff and stop the iching I hope.

Hey Steve,

Ya I was joking around with you.:D I hope you get better soon so you can go fishing again.

See ya in July,

Rich