Brown Trout

GLF

The Brown Blast is just around the corner and will be upon us before we know it. Any care to share any info, or tips on how to catch browns in the spring? Baits, depth, techniques, what to look for?

I am still learning my self when it comes to spring browns but here is what I can tell you from what I have learned so far..

The first thing I do is go to this website and check water temps...http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/twomichigans.html Keep in mind that site is not 100% accurate but it will useally point you in the right direction as to where the warmer water is. This will give me a game plan of whether I will go north, south, or stay close to the piers.

Once I find warmer water I will run long lines down the shute, as many planers I can legally get out without making a mess, and I will also run run a 1-2 color core whenever I can. I begin running these setups as slow as I can get my boat to go(mainly 1-1.5mph) If nothing happens I will play with the speed but the norm is the slower the better.

As far as depth, I stay really tight to shore for the most part. I scan the water ahead of me looking for small holes or shelves close to shore and I try and get my outside lines(not the boat) to run right through those holes/shelves. In "MOST" cases the warmer water will be tight to the shore line unless there is an eastern blow. (If fishing Lk MI) That being said dont be affraid to go a little deeper. Bright sunny days and heavy boat traffic will push the fish a little deeper.

Thats another good point...Try and avoid other boats. You could find the mother pod of fish but just a few boats making a few passes will scatter or just plain shut down those fish. This is why you will hear very little radio chatter in the spring fishing for browns. You DO NOT want to broadcast an area you are fishing that is producing fish. In a matter of min you will have everone and there brother fishing on top of you and it will shut those fish down.

Hope I helped.:)

• 2 weeks later...

As far as depth, I stay really tight to shore for the most part. I scan the water ahead of me looking for small holes or shelves close to shore and I try and get my outside lines(not the boat) to run right through those holes/shelves. In "MOST" cases the warmer water will be tight to the shore line unless there is an eastern blow. (If fishing Lk MI) That being said dont be affraid to go a little deeper. Bright sunny days and heavy boat traffic will push the fish a little deeper.

By really tight to shore, what depth of water are the baits running in on the shallow side of your spread?

By really tight to shore, what depth of water are the baits running in on the shallow side of your spread?

Some of teh guys "Claim" to have put them up on the beach at times. There are some sandbars off the beach once you find them you can run your spread over them/between them

Really "tight to shore" does mean put a board up on the beach. St joe you can do that. There are a few spots where the lake is still several feet deep right up to the rip rap shoreline.

But normally there is a foot or two drop off right on the shore line where brownies will sit in there and trap minnows against the shore ledge.

• 4 weeks later...