Inconsiderate boaters (again)

shu9265

I was over at my friends dock yesterday afternoon talkin' fishin.

He runs a tow and rescue boat here in Mentor Lagoons, Ohio.

Well, a call came in for a boat that was in need of assistance, he asked if I would like to go along. Not being one to turn down a new adventure, I said yes.

When we arrived on scene, with lights flashing, Coast Guard Aux. was there, and here comes the Coast Guard Rescue team. They checked on the well being of the occupants, and made sure the boat was still sea worthy.

By this time, they gave us the OK to hook up to the boat and tow him back to the launch ramp at Chagrin River.

By the time we got to the mouth of the river, traffic was getting pretty busy.

Talk about inconsiderate people.

When towing, you just don't have the maneuverability you normally would.

Even with the flashing lights going, people just continued to turn in front of us.

Some teenage girl on a jet ski, was next to us, looking at her friends on there jet ski's and not paying any attention. I had to yell to her so she didn't get between us and the boat we had in tow.

Well, long story short, we got him safely to the launch ramp, had to wait 15 minutes for the "go fast boat" to finish admiring his boat before starting it and getting out of the way.

When we finally got the other boat pulled up to the dock, some jet skier, says to me "are you going to be here long" ? I want to launch my 2 jet ski's.

Wanted to tell her, " No lady I will move so you can go play !"

But, I was nice and told her we would move as soon as we finished the paperwork.

When we were on the way back home, another call came in, dead battery.

Got to this boat, passed them a booster pack, but the engine still wouldn't start.

Hooked up the tow line and headed for home.

Along about this time, here comes the rain, thunder, lightning, the whole thing.

By the time we get to the entrance to the harbor, that boats are lined up like they are giving away "FREE GAS" ! ! !

Here they are trying to go into the channel 3 abreast! One boat even has a towable tube on a tow rope, with 4 people in it going into the harbor !

Well after 3-4 near misses, we finally got into the harbor, while try to get this boat to his dock, the other boats are just cruising right next to us as we are trying to maneuver this guy into a slip.

I tell ya, some folks just have either No Smarts, or No common sense ! !

Just wanted to share this with you all here,Thankfully no one was hurt and there were no collisions, but it was a learning experience.

I can't wait for the chance to do it again !

Thanks for the stroy Bill, that was a great read. Great job helping out some folks in need. It is sad all the inconsiderate people there are out there. Probably the same people that would drive right by when they see your in need of help. That really boils my blood. See it allot ice fishing on Saginaw Bay...Gotta get them fish, who cares if someone might be hurt or dying, or need a tow....Sad.

Stuff like this makes a mandatory boaters saftety/operation course sound good. But at the same time, many who grew up on the water and are safe ethical boaters suffer because they get forced into something that they shouldnt have to do.

Stuff like this makes a mandatory boaters saftety/operation course sound good. But at the same time, many who grew up on the water and are safe ethical boaters suffer because they get forced into something that they shouldnt have to do.

I agree. The first thing my wife and I did when we got our boat was take a boater's safety course. That was one of the best things we ever did. Trouble is that we realized not everyone took the course, so either they don't follow the rules, or just never learned them to begin with.

We were up at Higgins Lake this weekend. Went to pull the boat out on sunday and there was a ton of pleasure boat traffic along the dropoff. I headed out deeper to run down to the boat launch so I would be out of the way. When I reached the launch I slowed down in order to pick my way through the traffic I had to cut across. A guy in a pontoon cut right in front of me. Probably about 15 ft in front of me. Then he waved to see if I was heading in:( I let him go. At the launch he said he couldn't tell if I was headed to the launch because I was going so slow. Maybe because of the 50 boats flying along the dropoff. He seemed to be insinuating that it was my fault. Oh well, I don't expect a whole lot on a sunday at a public launch.