Grand Haven Steel 7-12

Went out on a buddies boat and he has never caught a fish on the big pond. His equipment consisted of 2 rods and 4 rod holders. Soooooo I brought a small tackle shop and 5 of my rods with me to see if we could break the ice for him. The setup was 2 rods with 1lb pencil release drop weights 1 wire diver and 3 lead lines. 2 rods were stuffed between the seats!! We took 3 rips on the 7 color with purple glow tiger untill the last one broke the hook. This setup landed the only fish. Then one hammered the NBk 30 down on the drop weight. We found the steelies in 60-65fow south of the pier right on the mud line. I saw fish swirling the surface everywhere but we ran out of time after we figured them out.......I think after Kevin reeled in this steel he is now addicted and I am sure he will be setting his boat up soon.

07-12-09_1729.jpg

Huge thanks to Andy for going out with me last Sunday! Yep, I'm the one in the picture...first fish on the big lake! Biggest fish I've ever caught. I'm used to small lake fish (gills, bass, perch...) It was an awesome experience and oh boy is that a tasty fish!!

I'll have to see how the fall goes...if I catch enough I might be able to convince the wife to convert the boat! :) ...I'm pretty much hooked already!

It shouldn't take too much convincing though, while in Belize, my wife caught a 36" Barracuda! Once she catches something out there I'm sure be out there with me all the time!

It's unbelievable how much Andy knows about fishing and I certainly felt privileged to be able to learn from someone of his considerable talents! Lot's more to go!!

Huge thanks to Andy for going out with me last Sunday! Yep, I'm the one in the picture...first fish on the big lake! Biggest fish I've ever caught. I'm used to small lake fish (gills, bass, perch...) It was an awesome experience and oh boy is that a tasty fish!!

I'll have to see how the fall goes...if I catch enough I might be able to convince the wife to convert the boat! :) ...I'm pretty much hooked already!

It shouldn't take too much convincing though, while in Belize, my wife caught a 36" Barracuda! Once she catches something out there I'm sure be out there with me all the time!

It's unbelievable how much Andy knows about fishing and I certainly felt privileged to be able to learn from someone of his considerable talents! Lot's more to go!!

Welcome to the site Kevin. Andy knows a thing or too about fishing.;) He has helped me out alot too. Those steelies are an awesome fight and great table fare. Lots of great guys on this site that will help ya out and get ur boat rigged up. You should head to the Introduction forum. Good luck :)

Welcome Aboard Kevin!! The fun has just started!!!;)

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome to the site Kevin. Andy knows a thing or too about fishing.;) He has helped me out alot too. Those steelies are an awesome fight and great table fare. Lots of great guys on this site that will help ya out and get ur boat rigged up. You should head to the Introduction forum. Good luck :)

Thanks!! I appreciate the advice, I'll head over there soon...been away for a while and need to come back to reality...yep, the reality is fishing! :grin: