Depth Raider

Well, I finally broke down and bought a probe, went to Captain Chucks in Ludington planning on buying the new Fishawk unit, but after talking to the fellow and comparing units I went with the Depth Raider and had enough money left over to buy 4 new 12# Yeck cannonballs.

I decided on the Depth Raider for 3 reasons, first I already have surface temp. and top water speed from my Hummingbird 917C unit, second the speed paddle on the Depth Raider is mounted on the side of the probe instead of the bottom, and this is supposed to limit the speed variations from the probe climbing the water in rolling seas. Third, it was $150.00 less expensive.

Hopefully it works out ok. I used the termination with the church release that I found on this website. That way I can disconnect the probe at the end of the day instead of having it installed permanently.

Terry

Judging by your numbers so far this season you don't need any of the help a probe can give!!! That is a nice average you have going so far...might not be any left for us in the northern part of the lake by the time you get through with em!!

I have the depth raider also and couldn't be happier with it:grin:

I bought a depth raider this winter and was amazed to find out how much diffrence there is even in shallow water. We were in 35 feet of water and had to run at almost 5 mph to get the lure speed to 2.5 to 3. Before the probe i would have never run that fast.

This is my second season with the DR, and it is AWESOME. I will never fish without one again. Like was stated before, the probe is in the water all the time, does not matter what depth of water I am in. Good Luck you will love it.

Rich

I was going to buy the new Fish Hawk X4, but I decided to buy the depth raider instead. I ordered one yesterday, as I got a heck of a deal at almost half the price of the fish hawk. Im hoping it will be here friday, so I can get some use out of it this weekend:D

One suggestion from my experience the one issue I have had is with the cable bunching on the spool and chafeing the coating off. This has been a real problem since I moved it to my outside riggers. I am thinking that this year I will run it on non coated cable and live with it not working very much below 100 ft down. So make sure you wind it on tight and watch it so it does not bunch up in one spot on the spool.

Nice background Sean! I wish my desk was that clean.

Must have been the camera!:)

One suggestion from my experience the one issue I have had is with the cable bunching on the spool and chafeing the coating off. This has been a real problem since I moved it to my outside riggers. I am thinking that this year I will run it on non coated cable and live with it not working very much below 100 ft down. So make sure you wind it on tight and watch it so it does not bunch up in one spot on the spool.

Thanks Jim. I will have to keep an eye on it for sure. I am going to run it off my manual rigger on the back center. I have autostops on my brutes on my two outside riggers. I did see where there is a fix for this, but I haven't done that yet.