Black Morrels

Took the weekend off of the big lake to head up to the Hunting cabin and found about 1lb of black morrels in the federal forrest south of pettibone lake near Bitley. Also caught a nice 15" brookie on the fly rod. did not have my camera but the brookie was beautiful. The mushrooms are just starting as they are later this year then past. The blacks are just starting to come up out there. so the whites should be another week or two. My neighbor up at the huntin cabin was kind enough to show me some of his brookie hot spots not only that He shared fired bluegill fillets with us on friday. I told him anyone who will share his fried gill fillets has to be a good guy. I am going to share some fresh ho with him next weekend as I will be going back up. Saw alot of nice browns being takin below Gleasons landing on the PM. I am really getting into this fly fishing. pretty relaxing compaired to running 16 rods off of the back of the Islander.

going to head back up again this comming weekend. Got a report that they opened the Dam in scottvill and let a bunch of steelhead come up the pm, going to try and throw some flys for a trophy and then get ready for the southaven pro am the following weekend.

I have one onther question. Whats your favorite way to cook up your morrels?

4 of us went morel hunting Sunday we got about 1 1/2lbs. We searched south of Scotville and Ludington most were small but we did find about 10 white ones so Im not shure if that was a fluke or if season is that far along? But mum..... love em fried in butter!

Just fry them in butter. You can dust them with a little flour. I dusted a few with Andys fish mix the other day and they were great that way too.

Now that sounds good. I like the andys cajun batter mix myself. over the last coulple of years this has become one of my favorites.

Nice job on the morels and trout. You need to get your boat out and get feeshing. :D The Big Jon pro am is in 2 weeks.

I know. its in the back of my mind. Ive got 3 days off before the trounement. That should be ample time to nail down the fish in southaven unless they are going laketrout fishing in 350 foot of water like last year.

I did make it out there lastyear but im not crazy about running that far out in my boat as I have been caught in some bad storms with my old man in the past years 20+ miles off shore. Thought we were going to buy the farm more then once.

One nice thing. When fishing southaven I have all the info from previous years on my gps and the patterns have changed very little if not at all over the last 10 years.