$500 to get started!!!

My boys and I are excited about getting after salmon, trout and some walleye but we have little experience fishing larger bodies of water.

Here’s the challenge: Our new boat (new to us) is just about ready to go, but what to do next to get started? You can help.

Assume that you have a limited budget, about $500, for this summer in which you can put into equipment. Current resources include a seaworthy boat, fish finder, lots of ultra light and light weight gear with a few medium rods. We also have a multitude of bass plugs, pike lures and spoons, etc. No downriggers, outriggers, planner boards, rod holders, Dipsy Divers, copper, lead core, flashers, big spoons, plugs, etc.

So, how would you spend the $500? Why would you choose what you would? It would be helpful to be as specific as you can – even to the point of model numbers, etc.

I know that $500 is not a lot of money, but every journey begins with a step at a time – I would just like some help in taking the first few steps.

One final limitation… I understand that telling me to pick up some used equipment is a great idea, but keep in mind that’s always a hit or miss proposition. Please keep the suggestions to new equipment.

Thanks in advance.

Since you mentioned large bodies of water I would strongly reccomend e-bay or craigslist to find a vhf radio.On a budget you cant go wrong with an Ugly stick they are cheap and very hard to break. As far as reels anything can work so long as it has a good drag and is capable of holding at least 200yards of 25lb min line. There is alot of fishfinders available for under $200 some as low as $85, anything is better than nothing at all.Also wearable life vests, you can never be to safe in big water especially when waves kick up.You didnt mention size of boat so I assume its small and you wont be going out to real deep water so I would suggest divebombers,or dipseys for the depth you will be fishing in .As far as rod holder on a budget you cant go wrong with plastic pvc pipe.When iI first moved to Ludington I had nothing but I was able to get alot of my first equiptment at yard sales .Walker downrigger $25 I had to install new cable for $20 and i also picked up 2 to very old Big John downriggers on E-bay for $50.IT can be done very cheap.AS far as spoons some are better than others but id watch fishing reportsbut in gereral Yeks fireballs early season and any Moonshine glow spoons at night and just b4 daybreak.Modified blue and green dolphins are also very popular by Dreamweaver.Plugs any brand of glow green ladder back works great in the fall.A port and starboard Churches walley boards will run about $50 but well worth money to spread out your lines. A good speed to troll is usually from 1.8 to 2 1/2 mph if you cant get your boat to go that slow a cheap "old school" fix is get a 5 gallon bucket remove handle tie rope where handle was and tie on rope to that and tie it to a rear side of your boat and let it drag in water, just rember its there and dont stop with it attached as it might get caught in prop run it about 5 foot behind boat as needed. Hope this gets you started in the right direction, and wouldnt hurt to look up old forums on this site as there is alot of good info here.

If I only had $500 I would start with 2 braid dipsey rods. 2 Okuma Convector 30D linecounters and Daiwa Heartland dipsey rods. That's going to be just over $200. As for rod holders, this is where you can buy used equipment with no problems. I wouldn't use PVC for dipsey holders as I had one break on a friends boat, luckily we had the rods tied off. I know someone said that the adjustable Tite-Loks aren't rated for dipseys but I have used them and I know others who have with no problems. They should be fine to get you started and you can find a set of them for $20. Then you add 2 dipseys and your all set. Now, you can go cheaper on reels. I know people use the Daiwa Accudepth reels and have never had a problem. I used Cabela's brand linecounters and tore the clickers out of them when I first started, so be careful going with cheaper reels. Then I would go with 2 leadcore setups. Again, I would go with Okuma Convectors and Daiwa Heartland rods, or Okuma Classic rods, they are both fine and inexpensive. But I know guys who use the Okuma Classic reels for lead and they work. You don't need linecounters for the leadcore. Buy a spool of core and put 5 colors on one rod and 3 colors on the other. You could buy a set of inline boards (recommended) but since you don't have riggers you could actually run the core out the sides. It could get ugly though. You should have a few dollars left after this and a good place to start on lures would be blue dolphin, green dolphin, double orange crush, kevorkian, a couple of super glow spoons, a chrome/red head J-plug, a green scaly glow J-plug, a double crush glow Spin Doctor, a Blue Bubble Spin doctor, a Blue Bubble fly, a white glow fly and a couple bags of high quality snap swivels. I like Sampo's. Don't go cheap here, I've had the cheap ones break on me.

Good advice above for a Dipsy program. I would definitely get some good rod holders. I would use the Okuma MA30DX or the MA45DX. I would spool them with 25# mono backer and 150 yds of 30# braid on top. The Okuma MA45DX can be had for $35 and the 30DX line counter for $32.:)

A few spoons and some dive bombs with planer boards will get you started. All you need is lots of line high capacity reels are a must line counters really help. Even consider getting one of the small ones that mount in front of the reel as you can hand hold it and use it on several rods. Don't get carried away on your budget there are very few fish out here that can't be caught on 8 or 10lb test you just need plenty of it. You can get Okuma MA20DX reels cheap and spool them with light line on a Diawa Wilderness rod and have a fishable setup under 50 bucks most places for a couple bucks more go up to 30 series reels. Get a copy of precission trolling Big Water edition and compare what they say about dive charts to the gear you already have. For the next month or so the fish will be scattered and in fairly close so pulling spoons or body baits will catch fish. Once you get a couple of bigger setups to mix with your light gear next I would look into a couple of 30 series rells with line counters and braid for divers the reels will cost more probable 40 ea but you can still use the Wilderness rods to save a few bucks keep in mind a braid diver setup by the time you are ready to catch fish will be in the 100 or better range ea. Don't skimp on terminal gear buy good snaps and swivels thousands of 5 or more apeice lures have been lost with 10 cent snap swivels. If you are going out further than you care to swim back get a marine radio. Personally That should be in the basic boat budget as safety gear. Lots of places have rigged ready to fish rods and many of them are great deals. Here is one of my favs

http://www.outdoorsmenproshop.com/store/index.php?cPath=23_74 These guys know how to fish and you can go straight to the lake and catch fish with their stuff. Good luck

So far, these are some great suggestions.

I’m still trying to figure out some of the language, but, ya gotta love Google. :read:

Any other ideas? What is really helpful as well, is the stepped approach to picking up equipment. What we need first, what we can get by with, what we might consider next year (our phase 2), etc.

However, I should have been clearer in my opening post, but we have a 19’ Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special powered by a 140 Envinrude. Included with it are a front mounted electric trolling motor, a fish finder and a marine radio. I don’t know as yet if any of these actually work, but I do know that the antenna for the radio must be replaced as it is broken. This will be done. I also have a GPS. Finally, I’m also planning on putting about a 10 hp kicker on it shortly. There is no other fishing equipment aboard.

Otherwise we have, or will have, a full compliment of safety equipment from life preservers to a fire extinguisher. We’ll even put in a first aid kit.

As you can see, it's a start, but it's the rigging and outfitting for salmon/trout and walleye that we now have to start working on.

Any other suggestions? How about for walleye? We do have all the light tackle, including a variety of jigs that I have used in shallow water up in Canada. I assume that some of that stuff will work in big water as well?

Anyway, thanks for all your help, and remember that I'm always open to additional suggestions or ideas.

Honestly if the 140 runs and idles ok and the bow mount works I would pass on the kicker. Get a set of Buggy Bags ( Amish Trolling Sea anchors) to fine tune the low speed. Kickers cost a lot add a lot of weight to the stern don't usually have enough power for rough conditions and the last place I want extra weight is on the stern. I had a kicker on my 18 years ago and with 2 fat guys fighting fish the self bailer would be level with the water. I considered moving the fuel tank and batteries forward and then sold the kicker it was less hassle and put money in my pocket. I kept a small Minn Kota trolling motor in the bow for emergency use. If you have some poles the will handle Walleye with a couple hundred yards of 10lb or heavier line get some in line planer boards and any body baits that resemble Smelt or small perch etc and troll the shore line of Lake MI for Browns and Steelhead this weekend. You don't need a lot of gear if you get some of the right gear to go with what you already have.

So far, these are some great suggestions.

I’m still trying to figure out some of the language, but, ya gotta love Google. :read:

Any other ideas? What is really helpful as well, is the stepped approach to picking up equipment. What we need first, what we can get by with, what we might consider next year (our phase 2), etc.

However, I should have been clearer in my opening post, but we have a 19’ Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special powered by a 140 Envinrude. Included with it are a front mounted electric trolling motor, a fish finder and a marine radio. I don’t know as yet if any of these actually work, but I do know that the antenna for the radio must be replaced as it is broken. This will be done. I also have a GPS. Finally, I’m also planning on putting about a 10 hp kicker on it shortly. There is no other fishing equipment aboard.

Otherwise we have, or will have, a full compliment of safety equipment from life preservers to a fire extinguisher. We’ll even put in a first aid kit.

As you can see, it's a start, but it's the rigging and outfitting for salmon/trout and walleye that we now have to start working on.

Any other suggestions? How about for walleye? We do have all the light tackle, including a variety of jigs that I have used in shallow water up in Canada. I assume that some of that stuff will work in big water as well?

Anyway, thanks for all your help, and remember that I'm always open to additional suggestions or ideas.

19' is plenty big for The great Lakes. (See Nymph make a very sturdy boat). Like said above, the diver rod is the very best bang for the buck. A diver with a white/green fish catcher/spinner, and a Green fly will get you fish most any time.

Two hand Crank riggers with

rubber band releases and a couple inexpensive rigger rods with spoons are also very reasonable and effective.

I really doubt the 140 OMC will idle down slow enough to troll though. (I know my 115 will not)

What year is the Motor?

When is the last time the impeller was changed?

It's also a good idea to run a can of Sea Foam through it to clean the carbon out.

Another alternative to the kicker motor or the sea bags is to re-prop your motor. It only takes 5min to change a prop before you go fishing. Alot of outboard come with props that are designed for speed rather than trolling. As long as you can stay below the max rpm range of your motor you'll be alright. In some cases where you need to run a long ways to a fishing spot to troll this is not always the best solution. Finding the correct pitch can be challenging but you would be surprized what the right prop will do for you.