Trolling line question

What pound test line do you guys use when trolling for walleye? I just picked up a couple of reels that I plan on using for walleye this summer. I already have a couple spooled with 10# and 12#. Should I go lighter, heavier, or isn't it a very big deal? Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably have more questions as I plan on spending a few days on the Bay this summer trying to catch walleye.

For quit a few years I used 10# Berkley Big Game. Then I experimented with some 12# Cajun Red line on just 2 of the 8 rods I run, and for some reason those two rods caught more fish for me. Then last year I went to all 8/30 Power Pro Red Braide and have found it to be the best stuff yet. I switched every reel (casting or trolling) I now own over to this stuff. It is pricy, so I only put 100 yards of it on each troling reel, using the cheaper stuff for backing. Most trolling applications on the Bay will seldom (if ever) take more then 50 yards of line. :grin:

Thanks guys. I just picked up a couple of reels to use for walleye and they have 15# on them. I thought it was a little heavy. I'll respool with 10# for now. I've got a couple of dipsey rods set up with 30# braid, I'll try those too. I plan on getting over to the Bay a couple of times this year, at least.

Considering most harnesses have 15+ pound line on them, Is light line even an issue?

I like mine spooled with 10# because early in the year I pull minnow imitators. Heavier line also needs more weight to get it down, or more line out, when pulling harnesses. Also most of the charts are based on 10#. But you are right about it not being a big deal. Now Jig fishing is a whole different story. :)