Official 2008/2009 ice conditions thread

well heard s rumor that bills lake has 4" of safe ice i plan on checking that lake on wedsday after i buy a new spud ( got the ice picks today lol) and in case anyone wants me to check any lakes on saterday i plan on driving to big rapids and checking some lakes here is a list of lakes i plan on checking

haymarsh

chippewa

tamarack

little whitefish

big whitefish

camp lake

crannberry lake

bass lake (ne kent county)

wabisis

silver lake (off belding rd)

big crooked lake

and any others if i know where they are and kinda on my route if anyone wants me to check

Seems like every year we hear about someone losing their life because they could not wait to get on the ice and fish. Some of these fatalities could have been prevented if they were not fishing alone.

Make sure you have someone with you.

Seems like every year we hear about someone losing their life because they could not wait to get on the ice and fish. Some of these fatalities could have been prevented if they were not fishing alone.

Make sure you have someone with you.

VG point. I lost a friend last March pushing the limits. Although he was with someone, when they both went through the ice. They were trying to come back in, but the ice deteriorated in just a few hrs. If you get submerged in 32 degree water, it could be curtains within minutes. I feel sorry for his family and his best friend, that almost died with him. R.I.P. Frank D. aka Rubberband Express. Jim, the survivor, fished with me twice this past Summer. Frank and Jim fished the Saginaw Bay, and Manistee. Life goes on, but will we ever learn?? Please play it safe, on hard and soft water.

As a former ice fishing lunatic may I suggest a setup I used to use for early and late ice fishing. First Snowshoes help a lot even cross country skis are better than plain boots. Second I had one of those plastic barrell's with a removable lid that I kept my stuff in with a rope attached to it. When I moved around on the ice it was tied to me and I would drag it behind me. It did several things it carried all my gear and left my hands free it moved on the ice and snow fairly easy and if I went thru it gave me a huge bobber and anchor to get back out. I guess it would have also made finding my body easier if all else failed. It has been over 20 years since I ice fished living down south for a bunch of the time so no ice to consider and warmer winter when up here made me stop going. I am starting to get the bug to do it again but be carefull.

Tight Lines

Jim

many of the lakes in allegan and ottawa co. are still open or just skimmed

my father inlaw lives near luther {north of baldwin } and said that there was no safe ice as of thanks giveing day p.s he is a dardevel {260lbs and 6 ft 4" and wiil go out on 2 to 3 " }

i am alive lol

because of the weather! i report is sub-par sorry guys

camp lake- shelf ice 2" think still open

Crannbery- skim ice 1' thick

bass lake (ne kent county) open but the shelf ice is 3' i made it out about 15' before the spud went through on the 1st hit

big crooked lake- still open channel is iced all the way arcoss but only 1" of ice to report

now for the good news!

lk bellavista has YES 4" OF SAFE ICE! i will be out there today going for some! i will take pics and have them posted today or tomorow. stay safe guys

Well don't know what all this snow is going to do to things, but I would watch my step next time out. Was supposed to go with my neighbor on Sunday, but ended up working instead, he went all day on an inland lake in Ortonville, says there was 5" of good ice. Has been raining and above freezing here all day today, not good for the ice. Neither is all that snow to the north. We need some real cold weather to get things where we want them to be. Fishing report from neighbor, good action all day, lots of dink perch, 10 gills for the pan and 30" pike catch & release, wish I didn't work cause it's gonna be a minute til I can get out.....Good Luck & Be Safe