Back from Deer Camp

EdB

Deer camp was great for the past week. I just got home tonight after a week of hard hunting and lot's of fun with some awesome friends. The hunting was great, the laughs were hearty, the weather was great most of the time, the food was delicious and the Springbrook Deer Co-Op is showing results. Our property is linked to the 4000+ acres of this co-op in NW Jackson County. Everyone participating is trying to let the small bucks live and grow up some. There are 3 of us staying in camp but we have 1 to 3 other buddies hunt with us through the week.

On opening day, we all saw lot's of does and let 5 bucks walk for the 6 guys hunting that day. We only buck hunt during deer camp and harvest does later in the season and in December. We had good action on day 2. Some bigger bucks were spotted but no shooters in range for anyone.

On the morning of day 3, by buddy John takes this great 9 point. It is a real nice buck!

100_0920.jpg

We have all been seeing some smaller bucks each day and good doe movement. On day 4, I let a small 10 point walk by, he had a little basket rack and was only a 1-1/2 year old. He will be much nicer next year. After he walked by, I see a real nice buck that was a shooter but he stays in some thick stuff and doesn't offer a shot.

Deer movement slowed some on Wed, Thurs and Friday morning but we still saw some deer. Someone spots at least one good buck on 6 of the 9 days in camp. Some days multiple shooters were spotted. Those reports back at camp sure kept it exciting.

On Friday night, everyone had good deer movement. This buck hops the fence onto our property and heads my way. I let him come into about 50 yards, took the shot and got him. He is decent for a 6 point.

100_0927.jpg

Saturday morning deer movement was great and a number of smaller bucks were seen and passed. It looks like quite a few are going to make it to another year. I was a watcher for the rest of the weekend but it was great end to see about 15 does and one 5 pt buck walk by in gun range this morning.

It was sad to pack up and come home today. Since the Springbrook Deer Co-Op was started, everyone in the area has been seeing more bigger bucks around. Voluntary deer co-ops between landowners and hunters are a great way to manage your local herd. Good luck everyone still hunting! I'm not done;)