Charter capt discount

Jenny Ann

Hey Guys, I was just curious if you know of any companies that give a discount to charter captains trying to get you to use their product. I found that slide diver does and you can sign up on their website but it doesnt appear to be much of a discount. Anyone know of other companies that do?

Thanks,

Kyle

Hey Guys, I was just curious if you know of any companies that give a discount to charter captains trying to get you to use their product. I found that slide diver does and you can sign up on their website but it doesnt appear to be much of a discount. Anyone know of other companies that do?

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle.

Here's the straight poop. Of the 12 or so companies I Pro Staff for and get discounted products from, all of them (or their reps) approached or contacted me first about using their products. Most because they already knew I successfully used their product. Some just sent me free samples to try or experiment wiith. All either heard about me from their own reps or read enough of my posts on web site fishing boards, my fishing reports on bait shop web sites, or actual articles I wrote and had published in different papers or magazines, that they knew I freely talked about and shared with the fishing public those things that catch more fish for me personally or on my charters. Most charter captains, tournament fishermen and other experienced fishermen, seldom if ever share information freely or will take the time to do so. Some companies wanted to give me free products whenever I wanted them, but didn't want me talking about any other products related to that same type of product. I won't do that. I insist on being able to talk and write freely about any new or old product that I successfully use. I also insisted apon paying at least the manufacturing cost of any product they send me. This keeps me free to write about all products and supports the integrity readers want and expect to help them be more successful when they buy and use the products themsleves that you talk or write about. But I do support, praise, write about and display sticker or banners on my boats from all the pro staff products I use. But I do so when and because they continue to work for me. When and if they stop working, or I simply don't use them, I don't mention them. When and if you accept free products, it puts a different pressure on you to always talk about and never mention other like products, rather they've been working or not. That's what I won't do and have that understanding with all my sponsors. And I've lost potential sponsors because of those conditions and standards I've personally set.

So I guess what I'm telling you is to promote yourself more in every venue you can. Ask about doing web site fishing reports for local bait shops if they have a web site. Keep them up to date with inside info, tips and things meant to help people be safe, informed and ready to catch more fish when they come to your area. Answer any personal E-mails honestly and without conditions even from strangers, and share honestly the knowledge you have with others on fishing boards while mentioning those things in detail (pro staff products or not) that works for you and every aspect of how you use them. Get your name and your reputation out there in as many ways as you can. You'll even get a few more charters from people who appreciate what your freely doing for them and others. The down side is, you will actually make some enemies for doing so and may loose your place in the Marina information CLICK. But you will make 100 times more newer friends for helping beginners or newbies, and the Pro Staff offers will start coming in the mail without your written petitions to them. :grin:

Dan,

Everything you said makes sense, I guess I am not looking for any freebie. I am more looking for places that give discounts on normal equiptment that you know you will use. I need to upgrade a few more reels this year and am uncertain what direction I wanna go, just wanna know if there is any good pricing out there. I think divers are another area that if a guy can save a couple bucks, it is better than not. I agree with you on fishing reports and giving info, I am surprised at some of the bookings we have received from that. Take care,

Kyle

Dan,

Everything you said makes sense, I guess I am not looking for any freebie. I am more looking for places that give discounts on normal equiptment that you know you will use. I need to upgrade a few more reels this year and am uncertain what direction I wanna go, just wanna know if there is any good pricing out there. I think divers are another area that if a guy can save a couple bucks, it is better than not. I agree with you on fishing reports and giving info, I am surprised at some of the bookings we have received from that. Take care,

Kyle

Kyle.

E-mail this Outdoor Promotion company and ask about submiting a resume or getting an appplication for their Charter Guide Service Teams. They contacted me last year and I was able to get on the Pro Teams of 5 new companies, including Power Pro line and Mustad Hooks. Both products I use a lot. I cannot gaurantee anything, but give it a try. [email protected]

Thanks Dan,

I did send them something. I dont know if they still do but I know midwest shooters supply in WI used to have a day where lisc captains got a pretty good discount. I more or less wanted to try and publicize any options like that. I really do appreciate your help though. Less than 6 months till I am back in the water :)

• 11 months later...

Kyle I have found that some of the manufacturers have a captains program if you run a charter. I went to Okuma and they just needed proof of my charter which was a card and a copy of my license and they gave me a decent discount off retail. my bait I am pro staffed so I get that through them along with my terminal tackle but if you give the companies a call let them know you like ther product and would like to order direct most of them will work with you. Good Luck

Brian.

So what is that Okuma reels address? I may be in the market for 10 new reels in the next summer season. I still like my BP Gold cups reels. But the 250 yards of junk line I need as filler, to fill the spool up to the filler mark is a pain in the azz. Looking for quality, smaller diametor reels with less line capacity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Dan,

Yes the folks at Okuma will talk to you on the phone. They has a really great staff there that is always willing to help.

I have been dealing with them for several years.

Thank's for the reply Bill.

I got an outstanding Deal on 10 Magda Pro 20DX Okumas from Franks Great Outdoors in Linwood. I've been doing their internet fishing reports for years and they treat me pretty good in these matters.:grin: