hook sharpening

I sharpen all my hooks.

Before I start, I check to see if the hook is sharp on my thumb nail. My goal is to get the hook to "stick" with little pressure as I try to slide it across my thumb nail.

I sharpen all of my hooks with a small hook sharpening file I picked up from walmart for under a dollar. I sharpen 3 sides, and always sharpen towards the point.

I hold a treble hook so there is one hook on top pointing away from me.

1. I do 5 strokes with the file on the left side going toward the point.
  2. I do 5 strokes with the file on the right side going toward the point.
  3. I do 5 strokes with the file on the top going toward the point.

I then check the point on my thumb nail to see how sharp it is. I put very light down pressure and move the hook away from my thumb. If it does not leave a scratch, or leaves a light one, I will look at the point and decide which side/top needs a couple more strokes with the file. My goal is to make it "stick", when I slide it across my thumb nail. When it "sticks", it's sharp!

I changed out all of the treble hooks on my spoons to singles so I only have 1/3 the work.:D I consider them sharp when I hang the spoon from my nail and tilt my hand, if the hook stays, its sharp. If it slides, its not. I sharpened them all in the winter and check them after use. If I miss a fish the hook always get checked if not sharpened or changed. I have had real good luck with the single hooks.

I use a standard hook file as well. I run singles on mine and sharpen them the same way Mike does. If it isnt stickin' in your thumb nail its not sharp enough. Doing this will definitley increase your hook up ratio, as do the tandom singles IMO.

I use the same process as Mike mentioned.

Just a FWI,everytime a hook gets a chrome plating on it,it instantly dulls the points.

Take the chrome off the hook point(s) with your hone with the formentioned technique and they'll be ready to rock.

I buy all my Owners in bulk 50 packs or more have got them as cheap as 45 cents a piece that way. The Outdoorsman in Jenison has them in 50 packs for 28 bucks I usually buy them off season easier to haggle price when no line of guys wanting them. I won't fish a chrome hook very often I usually replace them with Owners as they are the best hook I have ever used. I used to sharpen all my hooks on a bench buffer and touch them up with a emory board 600 or 800 grit I don't much like files as they remove to much metal if not carefull. My dad showed me how to sharpen on a bench grinder with a buffer wheel when I was a kid no better way to sharpen that I know of.

Tight Lines

Jim

I use the contoured Rapala files with light pressure and paying attention to hook contour. I'm still using trebles, but plan to a phased change over to singles. In the winter, I'll wet the file lightly with honing stone oil.

My litmus test is if snags one of my finger nails, much the same way as GLF described.

my 2cents,

--Jason