Port Sheldon 7/19 - 7/20 report w/pics

Got a chance to take a couple of rookies out this weekend that have never been before. Weren't sure if they were going to be able to hack the 3AM wake-up or not but they were troopers. Ended up being the first at the launch around 4AM. Saw that the pavement was still wet so I was hoping that FBD, Holland Piper, and Wild at Heart had left us a few from their moonlight escapade. Headed out to the NW into around 100FOW before setting up. Took us a while to get things going, but when we did it was a fun day in the rain.

First fish was a small King that came on a mag green dolphin glow back down 70 back 30 on the rigger. Sent it back down and it popped again, this time it was a Steelhead. Not too common to get them down 73' on a rigger.

taunyasteel.jpg

A few minutes went by and the full core took a rip. Ended up being another small King that hit a DW double orange crush.

Swapped out the SWR for a regular mono rod so I could run another slider....Manistee watermelon. Ended up taking this Skam off that slider I added.....he went 14 even on the boga scale.

jasonsteel.jpg

We headed in a bit shallower than expected and the wire diver popped in 90 FOW. Had 200' of wire out so it was a decent fight....I like how you can feel every head shake with that wire. This Brown hit a chrome spinnie with blue holo tape and a custom blue fly I tied. He went 12lbs on the boga.

tonybrown2.jpg

We were all in full rain gear havin a ball....waves were light though so it was easy to deal with.

We picked off a couple more decent fish and called it ending 7 for 9.

tonysteel2.jpg

Sunday we hit the launch about the same time and headed Southwest. Didn't get a whole lot going....things seemed a bit slow.

Picked up our first two Kings on a Moonshine Mongolian Beef deep off the riggers 70-80 down back 30.

jasonking.jpg

Made a few more passes over our marks and picked up this King on an all white spinnie with a white/green glow fly down 80 off the rigger.

taunyaking.jpg

Picked up another small King on a mag green dolphin glow back off the rigger down 80 and a decent 7-8lb Steelhead that I released and then called it a day. Went 5 for 7 and in by noon. It was almost flat calm and it sucked to go, but we had a decent drive ahead of us.

portside.jpg

Thanks for everything Plum Crazy.....good meeting you.